Skill Research Arc: Chapter 26 - Swift Trial

21 June 2023

???, 32nd Floor

30, 29, 28......

The distance between me and my opponent seemed to shorten bit by bit as the timer counted down its second half of the minute. I could've dismissed my observation as some kind of optical illusion, but if I did that I would be calling myself paranoid. My legs never moved an inch, and neither did those of the ninja, Hakuro, who was eyeing on me, seemingly eager to pounce at me at the given chance.

21, 20, 19......

Observing my opponent silently, I started thinking of a way to start off my assault. My spear, Crystal Poleshard+7, glimmered effortlessly even in the limited sunlight pouring in due to the bamboo shades above. My mind shifted momentarily to appreciate the blade on its end, but I shook myself off mentally, reminding myself to focus on the obstacle ahead.

12, 11, 10.......

As if I had any time to form a solid strategy to fight. The stress that was pinned down on me became heavier as the timer counted down its last 10 seconds. Both of my hands were gripping hard, as if my crystal spear was willing to slip off my reach at anytime.

A simple but conflicting question rang in my head in those seconds:

"What should I do next......?"

2, 1, START

My right leg moved immediately a step at the signal, but I never had time to take another. I saw another blur that the ninja made, this time with his dagger-holding arm. Something flew straight through the air, and then.....

CHKK...!

I felt a painful shock in my left side, just above my waist. I turned to look in reflex, and my eyes widened. There embedded the black dagger, stuck into my abdomen, half-length deep. Red pixels burst out of the wound instantaneously.

"What the F--"

I didn't realize fast enough that I had already been caught off-guard by a thrown dagger that had struck me at my body. I thought to grab and pull out the dagger, but that had given me a second downfall.

Hakuro sprinted at me in a split second, and as I looked back in front, I could spot his right arm spread out, with its palm open. The next half-second saw a weapon instantly appearing out of thin air, at the ninja's right palm. A sword, no......a katana.

I tried to shift my thoughts away from that impossible occurrence as I held out my spear horizontally to block a sure-hit attack coming at me. The split second ended with the katana blade colliding with the centre pole of my spear after a smooth and fast two-handed swing from Hakuro.

PINSHKK...!

The colliding sound half-resembled that of a bell being hit once, and I fell backwards from the impact. Crashing onto the ground with my back first, I gave a heavy pant in pain, still holding my spear like it was a split second ago.

I willed my left hand to pull out the black dagger from my wound. More red pixels erupted out as it was raised up, and I quickly threw the dagger somewhere far from my left side. Still lying on the ground in that moment, I saw the katana swinging down on me again.

I rolled my body to my right in reflex, and my spear was raised up, blade facing front. With that sudden move, Hakuro hesitated to continue his swing, but his katana still went forth. The two blades made their first clash, metal to metal.

CHINK...!

That stopped my roll halfway, sending me several metres back to the ground due to the force from the collision. Hakuro also wasn't prepared for the reaction force of the clash, as he got pushed back the same distance, but still stood on his feet.