PK Pandemonia Arc: Chapter 60 - Navigation

18 February 2024

Canyon Maze, 43rd Floor

"Was it blackmail, Teki?"

".....What?"

"I mean, did she drag you here by blackmail?"

"Well, I wouldn't have called it blackmail if she hadn't waved her damn green axe right at my face!"

Tekion's voice echoed through the high canyon walls forming the path leading straight forth. It was supposed to be glaringly bright on such a Floor with dry, rocky terrain, but the walls were high enough to provide shade at its angles.

"Damn, I thought she said she'd convince you....." I stuck my hand onto my head in frustration.

" 'Threaten', you mean," Tekion scoffed. "All I could fight back with was my hammer. And Rogna, that lazy-ass lizard, was snoozing right beside me!"

As he went on with his complaints, I looked ahead at the wall-bordered path, silently observing the trio of girls seemingly gossiping with each other.

Or, maybe, it was more like Alexis and Meghan of the SoH controlling the conversation that they were happening; Rakuno was tailing them from behind, nodding and commenting occasionally at whatever they said.

".....She even got Narnia to drag me out of the smithy! What the he--are you listening, Z-man?" Tekion turned to me.

"I was waiting till you're done." I replied simply. "Though, you should know how Misuko does things by now."

"And I'm never getting used to it....." Tekion sighed.

".....You should, I'm afraid."

The blacksmith jumped at the sudden deep voice coming out from nowhere, almost wanting to yelp in shock. I turned to my left side in a casual manner, and there was Krieg, holding his cap in either a greeting or an apology for the surprise he had caused.

Not that I had minded that. For me, I had already understood how the Sky Company leader presents himself to just about anyone he meets.

"The lady has always run the guild as she sees fit," Krieg went on. "However, she makes sure that every member is well taken care of. For that alone, I do not question her leadership."

"Although I must admit, it is quite absurd for the lady to pick you, a blacksmith, to join the infiltration party. Nevertheless, I believe that there is a reason for her doing so."

"Isn't it just for me to support the party by just offering weapon maintenance?" Tekion held his hands in puzzlement. "I don't get how something that mundane could get me forced into the party!"

"I think.....it's that simple, Teki." I turned to him. "That's exactly what Misuko wanted you to do."

That left Tekion speechless without another word of complaint, though his hung-open mouth wanted to say something to rebut my logical reasoning.

"So," I turned back to Krieg. "How was it?"

"Indeed, the entrance to Katalysis exists," Krieg nodded. "However, mind you, it is guarded, clearly by orange players. There is only one route there, which I will guide the rest of the party through, although I believe that the issue in getting the party through the entrance is your responsibility, Zenalyth."

"You are the party leader, after all."

It was what it was, though it was obviously due to my experience as a Drifter that Misuko had appointed me as the leader of the infiltration party. I didn't think I could make a good leader, but Misuko, being the leader that she was herself, insisted. It wasn't to the extent that Misuko had no choice but to do whatever she did to Tekion to get him in the party, because I clearly knew she would resort to that sooner or later to get me to agree into being in charge of the party.