PK Pandemonia Arc: Chapter 98 - Guild Revamp

28 February 2024

Katalysis, 43rd Floor

"It's time you turned that thing off."

"Turn what off?"

"Don't fucking play dumb. I can see that fucking light in your pocket."

"....."

I dipped my hand into the right side pocket of my coat, and revealed a record crystal. One of its tips shone a faint red light.

I had thought that hiding the thing in my coat would have worked, but the plan had apparently failed. Tori must've had a keen eye for finding hidden stuff or something.

It was strange that she called me out only after having answered all my questions. She would've called me out right from the start if she knew that I was recording her words all along.

"Finally busted, huh." I simply gave reluctant frown, tapping the crystal to stop the recording. "How else am I gonna take notes?"

Tori seemed to have ignored my humour. "If I had my weapon with me, I'd have cut you down instantly."

"Even after everything that you've told me?" I raised an eyebrow as I dropped the record crystal back into my pocket. "Sounds like a double standard."

"Information by mouth is one thing, but for it to be leaked out from a confidential conversation is another," Tori pushed herself to the wall behind her and leaned. "As the Council leader, I don't take those chances."

"Hmm," I frowned. "Would've called Raku back in to deal with you, though. She's more than willing to finish you off."

I was returned with a sudden but brief laughter across the room.

"How wrong can you ever be, I wonder?"

It looked like Tori knew something that I wasn't getting.

"How wrong am I, then?"

Tori recovered from her laughter. "I don't know if you've realized, but the Witch will never kill me for shit.

Even when she wanted to draw out her sword right in front of my face, she would've probably broken down eventually. I don't think your intervention could've changed anything she did."

I pondered over her strange response, though it was starting to become less strange and making more and more sense the more I'd tried to remember the moments that I had with Raku.

"Well, she'd never really PKed anyone before." I couldn't help but agree.

Tori's eyes widened a little. "Amazing. But that just proves my point on her."

The Council leader relaxed and slumped slightly against the wall she was leaning.

"She wanted to save me."

I was pretty stumped by her choice of words.

"She never said it directly herself. But I could tell."

Tori looked up at my hung-open mouth and my slightly squinted eyes.

"What, you don't believe me?"

I regained my composure. "I'd like some proof, if you don't mind."

"Heh, I don't expect you to believe me," Tori shrugged. "All I'm saying is that the Witch is just too soft on her opponents. She's definitely the kind of person who'd try to talk me out of my ways, even if she didn't look like it."