Clashing Guilds Arc: Chapter 46 - Clash of Guilds

31 October 2023

Nolfret, 39th Floor

We entered the town square, into the tension-heavy atmosphere. All that was left of the usually crowded place was a very recognizable group of players clad in red and white, their weapons reflecting the blinding sunlight in various directions.

Misuko led our group, which wasn't that uniform in our colours, into the centre of the open area, facing the other group. I was right behind her, casually having a hand in a pocket of my hooded coat as I eyed on the representative of the strongest guild in SAO.

Asuna the Lighting Flash stood in front of her subordinates with crossed arms and a face that meant business, waiting with patience as our group strolled in. Her demeanour was stern enough, that her lips were shaped almost like a glare. Her guildmates stood at attention, as if they were trained in military conduct.

An army. Yeah, we're up against an army. No other guild would beef up their members' disciplines that much.

"I see that your commander's absent again." Misuko spoke, placing herself in front of the KoB vice commander.

"That's none of your business." Asuna replied back with a tinge of annoyance.

As both leaders glared at each other, I shifted my attention elsewhere, scanning the town square. They weren't any other players in the vicinity, other than the two guilds.

"So, that's the guy who caused it all?" Asuna's voice rang through the town square.

Everyone's eyes were on me, as I stepped out from behind Misuko, standing beside her. The Lighting Flash sure was sharp, her eyes directly locked with mine as she spoke.

"We've decided to bring you to our guild to.....assist in our investigations in this matter." Asuna announced, as she faced me.

"What for...?" I asked nonchalantly.

"You will be interrogated and tried in front of the KoB Council, whether you like it or not."

I tried to look indifferent as I noticed her hand reaching for her rapier. She really meant what she said, about taking me in by force if she needed to. The bunch of players from the KoB behind her had already solidified her commitment in doing so.

"I heard that your Council includes your Commander, needless to say." I replied in defiance. "Why bring me back when your Commander can just come here to settle things?"

In a split moment, the rapier that had originally been in its sheathe appeared in a blur, as if to make its flashy entrance in front of me.

"You don't have the right to insult Commander Heathcliff!" Asuna snapped.

"And YOU will not take him back!"

Misuko's green axe swung at the rapier, pushing it down and making a loud collision in the tension. The echoes that came after shook the atmosphere in a dull screech.

My instincts had instantly guided my right hand to reach for my spear, but paused. Misuko turned back at me, shaking her head without a word, before turning back.

If I had brandished out my weapon, it would make me more suspicious of being the culprit of the incident. Misuko was just making sure I would never resort to attacking, or even retaliating back at such a powerful political figure.

"If you want your interrogation, you can do it here. Any discussions about the incident should never leave this town square."

Whether Misuko was desperately trying to put up a strong front, or was starting to become more like Akiko, I would never know. If it was the latter, she might be able to pull this off without any conflict.