XX - The Defense Class

THE SCHOOL TALKED OF NOTHING but Sirius Black for the next few days. The theories about how he had entered the castle became wilder and wilder; Hannah Abbott, from Hufflepuff, spent much of their next Herbology class telling anyone who'd listen that Black could turn into a flowering shrub. Astra had to stifle a laugh when realizing that it was actually very close to the true way.

The Fat Lady's ripped canvas had been taken off the wall and replaced with the portrait of Sir Cadogan and his fat gray pony. Nobody was very happy about this. Sir Cadogan spent half his time challenging people to duels, and the rest thinking up ridiculously complicated passwords, which he changed at least twice a day.

"He's a complete lunatic," said Seamus Finnigan angrily to Percy. "Can't we get anyone else?"

"None of the other pictures wanted the job," said Percy. "Frightened of what happened to the Fat Lady. Sir Cadogan was the only one brave enough to volunteer."

Sir Cadogan, however, was the least of Astra's worries. She was now being closely watched. Teachers found excuses to walk along corridors with her, making it nearly impossible for her to talk to her family and even less to visit Sirius. Even house-elves were ordered to follow her around. It seemed Lily would always turn around and tell her that Honey, Dobby, or another house-elf was around the corner.

To cap it all off, Professor McGonagall called Astra into her office with a stern but gloomy expression.

"Well, because of the last break-in from your father, the staff thought it would be best if you started eating your meals in the Great Hall."

"Really, Minnie?"

"Yes, I understand that you prefer the kitchens, but we do not want another incident like last year and I do think that Ms. Granger will welcome you." Astra sighed, realizing that she really didn't have any counterarguments and she probably wouldn't be able to get out of it.

***

The next morning, Astra got up earlier than usual to avoid the big flow of people in the Great Hall, but it turned out to be useless as more people came in and stared at the young Black in the corner of the room. Even though she didn't look up from her Arithmancy homework, she could feel the eyes against the back of her head. Astra sighed and continued working, hoping to get out soon, when she realized that she couldn't leave to go to the kitchens or an empty classroom without Minnie sending out a search party. So, she let it go and continued reading.

Ron and Hermione were bickering as usual with Harry in the middle when Hermione stopped, and instead of going to their usual seats in the middle of the Gryffindor table, she headed to the corner.

"Hermione, where are we going?" asked Ron in an exasperated voice.

However, their answer was given when Hermione sat down next to a beautiful girl with wavy dark hair in her head in a book.

"Hello, Astra!" she said in a cheerful voice.

"Hello, Hermione," she responded in a bored voice, not looking up and instead taking another bite of her toast.

"Arithmancy? I didn't see you in class?" Hermione asked taking a look at Astra's book.

"That's because I wasn't in class."

"B-but, this is our Arithmancy homework."

"Yeah, I worked it out with Septi- sorry Professor Vector." Ron and Harry glanced at each other in confusion of how the two girls talked. Hermione seemed fully enthralled in the conversation, happy that she was getting Astra to talk, while Astra refused to take her head out of her homework and looked like she wished nothing more than to be alone.