XXII - The Patronus

DUMBLEDORE WAS FURIOUS at the dementors, while some of the staff had directed their attention to where the dementors were backing up from. Luckily enough, Dumbledore got the dementors to leave and Astra's Patronus vanished at her command. However, that didn't stop the large amount of attention that she had gotten. McGonagall and some others looked more in shock while Lupin and Dumbledore looked a bit more with curiosity. They hadn't gotten a chance to see the full Patronus, but could tell that the dementors who had made their way to that side of the stadium backed up quickly.

Astra, realizing that many people were staring at her, shoved her wand into her bag and tried to push her way out of the stands, well aware that Hermione was pacing quickly behind her and Ron begrudgingly following. 

As she nearly made it to the castle, with Hermione's mouth still open in shock and Ron too cold to say anything, they were cut off by Professor Dumbledore, McGonagall, and Lupin discussing something. Ron looked like he was just going to walk in, but Astra grabbed him quickly and shoved him along with Hermione behind a pillar, hoping to listen in on the conversation.

"We don't know who performed the Patronus," came Lupin's voice.

"Well, I do think that it might have something to do with young Ms. Black. She was the only one with her wand out," said Dumbledore.

"But that's highly advanced magic! I haven't even gotten to it with the seventh years!" exclaimed Lupin again.

"I wouldn't put it past her, though. You know, she came up to me after her first year, first year only and asked me whether I could train her to become an animagus. It doesn't come as a surprise that she had learned to produce a Patronus already, but who taught her is the question," said McGonagall. Astra was able to take a peak and saw Remus Lupin with his jaw open, looking like he was about to faint. With this news, Hermione's jaw dropped even lower and Ron still looked around in confusion.

"A-an Animagus, you say?" stuttered Lupin. Astra had to stifle a laugh at the professor's reaction.

"Yes, we've been working on the process the past few summers and I do think that she will be able to complete the process in her fourth year, when it's legal, of course." The teachers then turned around and continued talking, but in more hushed voices so that no one would hear them.

Astra got out from behind the pillar and helped Hermione up, who helped Ron, and then turned in the direction of the hospital wing, hoping that Hermione wouldn't ask too many questions. It was quiet for a few moments as they walked, but then Hermione started talking, as Astra knew she would.

"S-so that was a real corporeal Patronus? Wherever did you learn it? I heard that it was really advanced magic and that only very powerful witches and wizards could master i-" she started talking.

"Yes, I learned a Patronus only about a month ago. Figured it would be useful with all the dementors... and it was, wasn't it?"

"A-and you're becoming an A-animagus? B-but that takes very advanced Transfiguration skills and -"

"Yes, yes. I get it. But I'm almost there, and it would be great. Ron, this way. I thought you would want to head to the hospital wing to see Harry." Ron looked a bit surprised at being addressed that way, but quickly followed, agreeing that it would be best to see Harry first.

Hermione was quiet for the next few minutes, but then suddenly gasped and stopped. Ron looked at her even more confused than before while Astra looked slightly amused, with a smirk on her face.

"Your teacup! Yo-You said it was a snowy owl! But that was your Patronus!"

"Oh... I suppose so. I had my suspicions on being a seer. Why I chose Divination. Anyway, thanks for the assessment. Moving along..." Hermione continued to stare at Astra until they got to the hospital wing, where most of the Quidditch team was surrounding a figure on a bed. Hermione and Ron immediately rushed over, forgetting about the odd conversation that they had and overcome with worry for their friend, while Astra sat in the back, giving a reassuring smile to Lily and James, who were also huddled around the bed and sent a wink to Regulus who was floating next to her chair.