XIV - The Prisoner Escaped

THAT SUMMER STARTED OFF calm, just as Astra had hoped. However, everything changed when Regulus came with news in July. She had been quite busy with catching up with Hagrid, McGonagall, and all of the other teachers. Minnie had been requesting she come over much more often, seeing as she was frantically worried (even though she wouldn't show it) after what had happened during the year. They had continued the study on animagus theory, and she had said that they would be able to start the process that year, hopefully. She had also learned that Remus Lupin, one of her father's and James's best friends, would be teaching Defense Against the Dark Arts that year, and that he would be coming to Hogwarts on the Hogwarts Express. James, Lily, and Astra threw a small party in the kitchens, as James had always said that being a professor was his dream job, but he never thought he would be able to do it because of his furry little problem. 

However, the big surprise that made the summer better and worse came one day when Regulus popped in the library, where Astra was doing homework, with Lily and James, beaming.

"He did it! He did it! Sirius escaped! He escaped Azkaban!" Astra held her breath, and then looking at the smiles on their faces, she beamed and started jumping up and down, glad that Madam Pince was, for once, not there with her. They continued celebrating as they went down to the kitchens until she heard McGonagall using the Sonorus charm to try and find her.

"Astra Black! Can you please come to my office? Now." Astra understood that people still thought that he was guilty, and knew that McGonagall was probably going to tell her the news. Regulus and James had decided that they were going to track down Sirius and see when he was going to come to Hogwarts. Regulus had told her about how he had gotten a newspaper and seen Peter on the cover. She was finally going to be able to see him and get him free. Now, all Astra had to do would be to get her hands on the rat, everything would be alright. Meanwhile, she had to re-learn the news from McGonagall. 

"Ah, thank you Astra. Well, we have some news that I am worried won't be very good. However, we would like to let you know that there will be additional security this year, including dementors surrounding the castle. Personally, I don't prefer them guarding it, but it is what the ministry wants. Well, your father... has escaped from Azkaban." Astra was able to put on quite an act as she gasped and looked worried. "H-how?" she asked, even though she already knew. McGonagall explained what she knew and concluded by saying that Astra was not supposed to leave the castle and that they would halt their animagus lessons. She understood that outside wasn't a good idea, but she didn't understand the reasoning behind stopping learning how to be an animagus.

"But Professor, wouldn't it be helpful to learn how to become an animagus? I mean, what if, if the animal is small or can fly, then I could get away quicker. I don't understand why I should stop," she reasoned. Although she knew that she would definitely not run away from her father. He was innocent, and would never hurt her. She finally agreed that the animagus lessons would continue and they would start the process in November. The dementors were also going to move in the next week. 

***

As much as Astra was happy that her father had escaped, it took away from her summer. She was no longer allowed to visit Hagrid in his hut, as the dementors had taken stations surrounding the castle. She had learned about a Patronus charm and hoped that she might be able to teach it to herself with the help of James and Lily. Though she wasn't able to try it on a real dementor, it would probably work well enough. The Patronus would also, hopefully, show her animagus form. Astra was also followed around more than before, as if they were worried Sirius Black would pop out of any corner and kill her.