LXXVI - The Order's Information

THE KITCHEN WAS IN CHAOS; as soon as Astra opened the door, a plate flew just over her head.

"Fred--George--NO, JUST CARRY THEM!" Mrs. Weasley shrieked, and Astra ducked again as a large cauldron of steew, an iron flagon of butterbeer, and a heavy wooden breadboard, complete with knife, hurtled through the air towards where she had just been sitting.

The stew skidded the length of the table and came to a halt just before the end, leaving a long black burn on the wooden surface; the flagon of butterbeer fell with a crash, spilling its contents everywhere; the bread knife slipped off the board and landed, point down and quivering ominously, exactly where Sirius's right hand had been seconds before.

"FOR HEAVEN'S SAKE!" screamed Molly. "THERE WAS NO NEED-- I'VE HAD ENOUGH OF THIS-- JUST BECAUSE YOU'RE ALLOWED TO USE MAGIC NOW, YOU DON'T HAVE TO WHIP YOUR WANDS OUT FOR EVERY TINY LITTLE THING!"

"We were just trying to save a bit of time!" said Fred, hurrying forward to wrench the bread knife out of the table. "Sorry, Sirius, mate--didn't mean to--"

Astra started laughing, joined by Sirius and Harry; Mundungus, who had toppled backwards off his chair, was swearing as he got to his feet; Crookshanks had given an angry hiss and shot off under the dresser, from where his large yellow eyes glowed in the darkness.

"Boys," Mr. Weasley said, lifting the stew back into the middle of the table, "your mother's right, you're supposed to show a sense of responsibility now you've come of age--"

"--None of your brothers caused this sort of trouble!" Mrs. Weasley raged at the twins as she slammed a fresh flagon of Butterbeer onto the table, and spilling almost as much again. "Bill didn't feel the need to Apparate every few feet! Charlie didn't charm everything he met! Percy--"

She stopped dead, catching her breath with a frightened look at her husband, whose expression was suddenly wooden.

"Let's eat," said Bill quickly.

Astra could see Harry looking confused at the topic of Percy, and quickly moved from the doorway to a seat on the opposite side of the table next to Luna and Remus, rather than next to Sirius as usual.

"It looks wonderful, Molly," said Remus, ladling stew onto a plate for her and handing it across the table.

For a few minutes there was silence but for the chink of plates and cutlery and the scraping of chairs as everyone settled down to their food. 

She heard Remus start a conversation with Bill and Mr. Weasley, and turned to Luna, trying to avoid the curious eyes of Harry that were wandering around the table.

"So, what articles have you started for the Quibbler?"

Immediately, Luna was enthralled with the topic, talking about how she was hoping to get a special interview with Harry, and had already talked about Voldemort's past reign and what chaos he had caused. She was going to put a specific article talking about the Ministry's incompetence, hopefully (which Astra immediately agreed to) including an interview with Astra about Rita Skeeter.

After a full meal of Mrs. Weasley's good cooking, Astra was just ready to go to bed and maybe look at a few of Luna's suggestions, and that was exactly what she intended to.

But of course, sometimes, her father made very stupid decisions.

"Nearly time for bed, I think," said Mrs. Weasley with a yawn.

"Not just yet, Molly," said Sirius, pushing away his empty plate and turning to look at Harry. "You know, I'm surprised at you. I thought the first thing you'd do when you got here would be to start asking questions about Voldemort."