LXVI - The Third Task

THE MOOD IN THE CASTLE as they entered June became excited and tense again. Everyone was looking forward to the third task, which would take place a week before the end of term. Astra  was practicing hexes with the others at every available moment. 

Tired of walking in on Harry, Hermione, Astra, Luna, and Ron all over the school, Professor McGonagall had given them permission to use the empty Transfiguration classroom at lunchtimes. Harry had soon mastered the Impediment Curse, a spell to slow down and obstruct attackers; the Reductor Curse, which would enable him to blast solid objects out of his way; and the Four-Point Spell, a useful discovery of Luna's that would make his wand point due north, therefore enabling him to check whether he was going in the right direction within the maze. He was still having trouble with the Shield Charm, though. This was supposed to cast a temporary, invisible wall around himself that deflected minor curses; Hermione managed to shatter it with a well-placed Jelly-Legs Jinx, and Harry wobbled around the room for ten minutes afterward before she had looked up the counter-jinx.

They were eating breakfast in the great Hall when Professor McGonagall came walking alongside the Gryffindor table toward him.

"Potter, the champions are congregating in the chamber off the Hall after breakfast," she said.

"But the task's not till tonight!" said Harry, accidentally spilling scrambled eggs down his front, making Astra chuckle slightly and Harry flush red.

"I'm aware of that, Potter," she said. "The champions' families are invited to watch the final task, you know. This is simply a chance for you to greet them."

She moved away. Harry gaped after her.

"She doesn't expect the Dursleys to turn up, does she?" he asked Ron blankly.

"Merlin, no," Astra shook her head; Lily had informed her with high spirits that Molly Weasley would be showing up with Bill Weasley and Padfoot would try to come in dog form, rather waiting on the sidelines.

Harry looked at her slightly suspiciously, something he did often when he wasn't blushing, stuttering over his words, or staring, but Astra got up and dragged Ron away from the table, "Gotta get to Binns' class now."

They made it out of the Great Hall when Ron sputtered, "How do you know if the Dursleys are coming?"

"I'm a woman of many secrets," she stated simply and left Ron alone.

***

"Ladies and gentlemen, in five minutes' time, I will be asking you to make your way down to the Quidditch field for the third and final task of the Triwizard Tournament. Will the champions please follow Mr. Bagman down to the stadium now."

Harry got up. The Gryffindors all along the table were applauding him; the Weasleys, Hermione, Luna, and Astra all wished him good luck, and he headed off out of the Great Hall with Cedric, Fleur, and Viktor.

While they all left, Astra took it as an opportunity to sneak out of the Great Hall and towards Hagrid's Hut, where her father was supposed to be waiting.

Moving closer, she saw a black dog come running up to her, and a bright smile took over her face. "Dad," she whispered as the dog jumped up to hug her, if a dog could even do that, making her fall over. She chuckled, petting his head, "Harry's going to get ready to enter the maze now, but I'll come back as soon as it's over and tell you how it went, ok?"

The dog wagged it's tail, which Astra took as a yes, so she got up and headed towards the Quidditch pitch, just in time to blend in with everyone else.