LXXXVIII - The Flirting Failure

RON CAME RUNNING towards them, beaming all over his face and slopping Butterbeer down his front from the goblet he was clutching.

"Harry, I did it, I'm in, I'm Keeper!"

"What? Oh-- brilliant!" said Harry, clearly straining his smile.

"Great job, Ron!" Astra said, giving a pat on the back. She wasn't the most comfortable surrounded by so many people, but Ron looked genuinely so excited. However, she was given an excuse to leave as she saw familiar figures out of the corner of her eye.

She was able to slip around them as Ron gave Harry a butterbeer, passing by Hermione, who was dozing off in an armchair. 

She wondered whether everyone in her Order had created plans to meet together, for she hadn't heard anything from any of them since they originally left, apart from her brief encounter with Regulus after her first detention, where she hadn't even been able to talk with him.

However, there they were. Regulus, Cedric, Euphemia, Fleamont, James, Lily, and Marlene. She supposed only the ones she knew best had come.

Checking her dorm to make sure no one was there (there wasn't, they must have all been at the party), she shut the door and closed the curtains around her bed, casting a silencing spell.

Then, she turned sharply towards the others.

"How have things been going?"

And so, they all gave their reports.

Euphemia and Fleamont stated that Hagrid and Madame Maxime had come out unsuccessful, as the Death Eaters had arrived first. Madame was already back in France, and Hagrid was supposed to come soon, though he had brought an extra... guest.

Astra couldn't necessarily say she was surprised; it seemed like exactly the thing Hagrid would do.

Marlene talked about Fudge's plans, which still mainly consisted of proving the 'lies' of Harry, as well as eventually giving new power to Umbridge, something that Astra was most definitely not excited for.

However, Regulus and Cedric brought the most fear. It was expected, as they had been spying on death eaters, but the information brought a whole new meaning to the war, a new sense of the fact that it was real and it could affect her and they were in danger.

Kreacher needed to be ordered to silence. That was the first move.

Astra could tell that Regulus delivered it sadly; he had always had a strong bond with the house-elf and to see it betray them...

Her father needed to be safe.

She was grateful that he wasn't yet in danger; he was still staying in his house. She would just need to make sure that there would be no extra rebellious acts coming.

But Voldemort was planning on using him as bait, and Astra was not going to let that happen.

***

The next morning, Astra made it to the owlery early, hoping that no one was awake yet. She supposed she could tell McGonagall or Dumbledore about the new findings, but it was surely much easier to just send a letter. 

Besides, she needed to get reports from the owls anyway.

She sent off the letter with the mother of the baby owl, who was more than happy to help her, and was about to transform before someone came through the door.