XLI - The Vision

NOW, WITH THE SUN newly risen and the mist lifting, they could see the city of tents that stretched in every direction. They made their way slowly through the rows, staring eagerly around. Even though Astra and Luna had already seen most of it, there were new tents and areas every day, and it was way more busy than before.

Their fellow campers were starting to wake up. First to stir were the families with small children A tiny boy no older than two was crouched outside a large pyramid-shaped tent, holding a wand and poking happily at a slug in the grass, which was swelling slowly to the size of a salami. As they drew level with him, his mother came hurrying out of the tent.

"How many times, Kevin? You don't - touch - Daddy's - wand - yecchh!"

She had trodden on the giant slug, which burst. Her scolding carried after them on the still air, mingling with the little boy's yells "You bust slug! You bust slug!"

A short way farther on, they saw two little witches, barely older than Kevin, who were riding toy broomsticks that rose only high enough for the girls' toes to skim the dewy grass. A Ministry wizard had already spotted them; as he hurried past Harry, Ron, Hermione, Astra, and Luna, he muttered distractedly, "In broad daylight! Parents having a lie-in, I suppose -"

Here and there adult wizards and witches were emerging from their tents and starting to cook breakfast. Some, with furtive looks around them, conjured fires with their wands; others were striking matches with dubious looks on their faces, as though sure this couldn't work. Three African wizards sat in serious conversation, all of them wearing long white robes and roasting what looked like a rabbit on a bright purple fire, while a group of middle-aged American witches sat gossiping happily beneath a spangled banner stretched between their tents that read: THE SALEM WITCHES' INSTITUTE. 

Astra quickly pushed them the other way, muttering hurriedly "They don't really like us, nearly made our hair orange two days ago." Harry and Ron looked confused at that while Hermione simply huffed and looked to Luna as if for confirmation. She nodded solemnly, tapping her hair as if it would turn orange at any moment.

"Er - is it my eyes, or has everything gone green?" said Ron.

"Oh, no, we've just entered the Irish-supporting area," said Luna dreamily.

Astra nodded along but also added, "Whatever you do, don't say you support Bulgaria. They can get aggressive." They looked around for a bit before someone else yelled out in the background.

"Harry! Ron! Hermione!" Seamus Finnigan shouted from his own shamrock-covered tent, next to Dean Thomas and a sandy-haired woman who had to be his mother. It seemed he noticed the two other people along with the trio, but he simply nodded in their direction, narrowing his eyes a bit. 

"Like the decorations?" said Seamus, grinning. "The Ministry's not too happy."

"Ah, why shouldn't we show our colors?" said Mrs. Finnigan. "You should see what the Bulgarians have got dangling all over their tents. You'll be supporting Ireland, of course?" she added, eyeing Harry, Ron, and Hermione beadily. The three looked around to see that Luna and Astra were gone, so they quickly assured him they were supporting Ireland and left. As soon as they got out of the green area, the two girls returned.

"Where did you go?" asked Hermione in a bit of a bossy tone.

"Well... last time we were here we took a bit too long to decide who we were supporting, so... uh... Seamus isn't too happy with us right now."

Ron started laughing and Harry snorted, trying to avoid staring at Astra. Hermione noticed this of course, and distracted them by asking, "I wonder what the Bulgarians have got dangling all over their tents?"