XXVIII - The Dementor's Kiss

RAVENCLAW PLAYED SLYTHERIN a week after the start of term. Slytherin won, though narrowly. According to James, this was good news for Gryffindor, who would take second place if they beat Ravenclaw too. He was constantly talking about Gryffindor's chances, and one would think he was being possessed by Oliver Wood, or possessing Wood himself.

She followed the instructions her father gave her in the letter, and didn't go to see him, though she still practiced her message-sending Patronus. She thought about asking Lupin for help, but knew it would seem suspicious, seeing as thgere wasn't anyone she would need to send them to. 

Astra fell into the rhythm she did everyday, only now she was mostly accompanied by Luna Lovegood and Hermione Granger. She had learned that Hermione was using a time turner from Lily, and tried to help her out when she good, usually with Divination (as that was the only subject Hermione allowed help in) to make sure that Hermione wouldn't die of stress. She also helped Luna, seeing as she was a year younger, though even if she was a Ravenclaw, Luna didn't care too much for homework, only doing the pieces that she enjoyed.

So, the three girls would spend time in the library, even though Hermione was still a bit confused on Luna's train of thought, and work on homework together. It was common to see Hermione Granger furiously scratching her quill on ink, Astra Black calmly writing or reading a classical book, and Luna Lovegood reading one of Astra's books, taking breaks to stare off into space behind a tower of books.

Some were confused about seeing the Ravenclaw oddity, the mass murderer's daughter, and the smart girl who used to always hang out around Weasley and the boy-who-lived sitting together, but none of them were brave enough to question it.

Astra had also taken to reading the journal her father had given her at night, to make sure that no one would be reading it other than her. It was fascinating, and also hilarious, as the three animagi took turns writing with enchanted quills, sometimes making them write at the same time and have written arguments.

January faded imperceptibly into February, with no change in the bitterly cold weather. The match against Ravenclaw was drawing nearer and so were the end of exams. Astra hoped that the next Hogsmeade weekend would come soon, when she was planning to visit Sirius again (it would be easier to slip away when everyone else is gone as well).

Astra also still showed up to Lupin's anti-Dementor classes, having her Patronus ready along with some chocolate. She was happy to see that Harry was making progress, making a nearly corporeal mist without the dementor, and an indistinct, silvery shadow every time the Boggart-Dementor approached him. Lily, James, and Astra were having a bet going on, thinking about what his Patronus would be. James, being arrogant, said it would be a stag like him, while Lily thought it would be a tiger. Astra thought it would be a different type of dog.

"You're expecting too much of yourself," said Professor Lupin, sternly in their fourth week of practice after Astra's Patronus disappeared and so did the boggart. "For a thirteen-year-old wizard, even an indistinct Patronus is a huge achievement. You aren't passing out anymore, are you?"

"Astra's Patronus charged the Dementors down or something," said Harry dispiritedly. "Made them disappear --"

"The true Patronus does do that," said Lupin. "But you've achieved a great deal in a very short space of time. If the Dementors put in an appearance at your next Quidditch match, You will be able to keep them at bay long enough to get back to the ground, and quite frankly I don't know how Astra did it. It must have been a powerful memory."

"Yeah, besides, if the dementors come I'll send my Patronus to protect you, and so will all of the other teachers," Astra reassured him. "Though I wish I could figure out how to make the Patronus obey commands, I read somewhere that they could even send messages."