XXXIX - The Resignation

WHEN HARRY, ASTRA, HERMIONE, LUNA, AND RON left the hospital wing at noon the next day, it was to find an almost deserted castle. The sweltering heat and the end of the exams meant that everyone was taking full advantage of another Hogsmeade visit. 

Luna and Astra split up with the golden trio, rushing off somewhere that the trio didn't know. The truth was, James had informed Astra that Lupin was planning on leaving. So, they ran as quickly as they could to the Defense Against the Dark Arts classroom, hoping to stop him in time.

"Professor Lu-Remus!" Astra exclaimed as they ran through the open door. He had already packed most of his things. The Grindylow's empty tank stood next to his battered old suitcase, which was open and nearly full. 

"You can't leave! Oh, I'm going to kill Snivellus! It wasn't your fault!"

"You're definitely an amazing teacher," said Luna in her dreamy voice.

"I'm sorry, but I can't have something like that happen again. I appreciate your concern but it's for the best," Remus said. Astra tried to continue but at that moment, Harry ran in through the open door.

"I just saw Hagrid," said Harry. "And he said you'd resigned. It's not true, is it?"

"I'm afraid it is," said Lupin. He started opening his desk drawers and taking out the contents.

"But-"

"No, Astra."

"Why?" said Harry. "The Ministry of Magic don't think you were helping Sirius, do they?"

Lupin crossed to the door and closed it behind Harry.

"No. Professor Dumbledore managed to convince Fudge that I was trying to save your lives." He sighed. "That was the final straw for Severus. I think the loss of the Order of Merlin hit him hard. So he -- er -- accidentally let slip that I am a werewolf this morning at breakfast."

"You're not leaving just because of that!" said Harry.

Lupin smiled wryly.

"This time tomorrow, the owls will start arriving from parents.... They will not want a werewolf teaching their children, Harry. And after last night, I see their point. I could have bitten any of you.... That must never happen again.

"You're the best Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher we've ever had!" said Harry. "Don't go!"

"See! It doesn't matter! Who cares about what they think? The students will have your back!"

Lupin shook his head and didn't speak. He carried on emptying his drawers. Astra slumped down as she sat on a desk, Luna sitting next to her. 

"From what the headmaster told me this morning, you saved a lot of lives last night, Harry. If I'm proud of anything I've done this year, it's how much you've learned.... Tell me about your Patronus."

"How d'you know about that?" said Harry.

"What else could have driven the Dementors back?"

Harry told Lupin what had happened. When he'd finished, Lupin was smiling again.

"Yes, your father was always a stag when he transformed," he said. "You guessed right... that's why we called him Prongs."

Lupin threw his last few books into his case, closed the desk drawers, and turned to look at Harry.

"Here -- I brought this from the Shrieking Shack last night," he said, handing Harry back the Invisibility Cloak. "And..." He hesitated, then held out the Marauder's Map too, looking towards Astra. "I am no longer your teacher, so I don't feel guilty about giving you back this as well. It's no use to me, and I daresay both you and Astra will find good uses for it."