XLV - The Welcoming Feast

THROUGH THE GATES, flanked with statues of winged boars, and up the sweeping drive the carriages trundled, swaying dangerously in what was fast becoming a gale. Leaning against the window, Astra could see Hogwarts coming nearer, its many lighted windows blurred and shimmering behind the thick curtain of rain. Lightning flashed across the sky as their carriage came to a halt before the great oak front doors, which stood at the top of a flight of stone steps. People who had occupied the carriages in front were already hurrying up the stone steps into the castle. The group jumped down from their carriage and dashed up the steps too, looking up only when they were safely inside the cavernous, torch-lit entrance hall, with its magnificent marble staircase.

"Blimey," said Ron, shaking his head and sending water everywhere, "if that keeps up the lake's going to overflow. I'm soak - ARRGH!"

A large, red, water-filled balloon had dropped from out of the ceiling onto Ron's head and exploded. Drenched and sputtering, Ron staggered sideways into Harry, just as a second water bomb dropped - narrowly missing Hermione, it burst at Harry's feet. People all around them shrieked and started pushing one another in their efforts to get out of the line of fire, though Astra just chuckled. She made sure the coat was still above them and moved inside, only laughing when Peeves through a balloon straight at her.

"Oops, sorry Black!" he cackled, and Astra gave him a thumbs-up. She rather liked his mischief, and had earned his respect due to her father and her own antics. Some people looked at her in confusion, but quickly returned to the task at hand: getting into the Great Hall.

"PEEVES!" yelled an angry voice. "Peeves, come down here at ONCE!"

Minnie came dashing out of the Great Hall, nearly pulling down Hermione as she stopped herself from falling.

"Peeves, get down here NOW!" barked Professor McGonagall, straightening her pointed hat and glaring upward through her square-rimmed spectacles.

"Not doing nothing!" cackled Peeves, lobbing a water bomb at several fifth-year girls, who screamed and dived into the Great Hall. "Already wet, aren't they? Little squirts! Wheeeeeeeeee!" And he aimed another bomb at a group of second years who had just arrived.

"I shall call the headmaster!" shouted Professor McGonagall. "I'm warning you, Peeves -"

Peeves stuck out his tongue, threw the last of his water bombs into the air, and zoomed off up the marble staircase, cackling insanely.

"Well, move along, then!" said Professor McGonagall sharply to the bedraggled crowd. "Into the Great Hall, come on!"

Astra and Luna were some of the first to get inside as Peeves hadn't targeted Astra, so they split up as Luna made her way to the Ravenclaw table. Astra took her usual seat at the end of the Gryffindor table, and this time, wasn't surprised when Hermione sat next to her. It actually made her feel happy, after her first few years of hiding in the kitchens and sitting alone, she finally had friends to chat and laugh with.

The Great Hall looked its usual splendid self, decorated for the start-of-term feast. Golden plates and goblets gleamed by the light of hundreds and hundreds of candles, floating over the tables in midair. The four long House tables were packed with chattering students; at the top of the Hall, the staff sat along one side of a fifth table, facing their pupils.

"Good evening," came the voice of Nearly Headless Nick.

"Says who?" said Harry, taking off his sneakers and emptying them of water. "Hope they hurry up with the Sorting. I'm starving."

Astra chuckled, she waved cheerfully at Nick, who tipped his head in return, while the rest of the trio were wondering how she could be in such good spirits after the attack outside.