33 𖠇 Clingy Past

"Good morning, early-bird," I say as soon as I meet with Oscar at our desk. "I've had the strangest day today."

I sit down by his side and wait for a response. However, all he says is: "Good morning."

His head is down, focused on his notebook paper as he rotates a blue pen between his fingers. A hand grips his hair as if trying to hide his face from my view.

There is a sinking feeling in the pit of my chest. "Why were you up so early?" I ask him, trying to spark a conversation so he can pick up quickly.

"I had work," he replies.

That's it. No details.

The sinking hole buried in my chest is filled with an emotion I've never felt before. It's like a sudden wave of sadness rains over me and overflows the empty space. I would've preferred no feeling at all then this emotion.

But as much as that feeling continues to bug me the entire period, I decide not to question him since he must be having a bad day. We all have those every once in a while. However, there's an urge that almost forces me to see if he's okay. And when lunch period comes, I find myself searching for him around the cafeteria.

All I see are students laughing, throwing food at one another, and heads down as they listen to music. A blaring noise that has forced me to eat at the library since day one.

I lower my head when he's nowhere to be seen just as three others rise high.

   Genesis Davenport.

   Aurora Velazquez.

   Blaire Thompson.

   The trio throttle side by side at the same pace, heels tapping the shiny tiles. It's as if the whole room goes silent to focus on the echo their shoes make. For them, the whole world is a runway and everyone in it is their audience.

   I envy their confidence.

"Congratulations!" Blaire cheers, tucking her (now pastel blue) hair behind her ear.

"You've blossomed," Aurora goes next. "Como las flores."

"And with none other than Harvey Cohen," Genesis adds last. "You've set the bar high, Theo, for your future romantic encounters."

I instantly know what they're referring to. "Sorry to tackle down your sex fantasy between me and Harvey, but my virginity is still intact," I let them know, not in the mood to talk right now. "I know better than to lose it in a stranger's bathroom."

"So Autumn was right?" Blaire asks me, looking startled. "She was the one that went into the bathroom with Harvey?"

A nearby guy wearing a dark beanie sneaks into the conversations. "Beat her ass for hooking up with a taken man."

Genesis glares at him for a long minute before taking slow steps towards him. "First off, the only person I feel like beating today is you, but I just got my nails done yesterday," she tells him.

Next follow Aurora, standing by her side with her hands in her hips. "Second, it takes more than one person to cheat, so she's not the only one to blame."

And, of course, Blaire takes Genesis left and blurts out, "Lastly, Harvey is the one committed to a relationship—not Autumn—therefore, he should've had a little more respect for himself and our sweet Theo."

The guy just stares at them before shaking his head in agreement. "Right."

The three come back to me.