18 𖠇 Never Deny An Invitation

Autumn is already here and today is the last day before Thanksgiving break. Although they call the break 'Thanksgiving Break,' it will include Christmas and New Years which prolongs the students with a month of no school—and I'm not arguing. So far, the ambient has been cheerful and exciting since there is rarely any work this week and invitations for parties are already being shared.

   I glance out the window during last period, watching the orange, red, and brown leaves be carried by the strong winds. Since there is no work today, I decided to proceed with my recent book. However, as my laptops rest on my desk, my mind wanders elsewhere. The only thing that has been in my mind these last few days is the fact that I am lying to Harvey. That feeling I get, where my insides churn uncomfortably, has been eating me from the inside.

   I have been planning to have a conversation about this with the girls, but I doubt that they would be understanding. The obsession they have with hurting Harvey Cohen has blinded them from the outcome of all of this. He will get his heart broken and I will get my book published.

   But I don't think his heart will be the only one hurting.

   The bell snatches me from my thoughts and brings me back to school. Everyone rises from their seats and cheers as they walk out the door. I shut my laptop, following behind the crowd to enter the even more crowded hallways. Luckily, with a few gentle pushes, I find myself in front of the library.

   "It's an apocalypse out there," I say, shutting the door behind me.

   Mrs. Mills slings her thick, black purse over her shoulder, grabbing her keys from her desk. "That's usually what happens when prison doors open," she says.

   "So," I bring up, "where are you heading for Thanksgiving?"

   "I am heading north to spend some time with some family members," she replies, walking up to the lights. "Were you going to grab a book for the break?"

   I shut my eyes. "Guilty."

   "Couldn't you be more of a nerd?" she says, rolling her eyes. "You are a breathing, talking nerd overdose."

   "Then that makes two of us, doesn't it?" I tell her, jogging to the shelves to quickly scan the books. "I was actually going to invite you to spend Thanksgiving with the Walkers—my momma is joining us, as always."

   "That's a kind offer, Theo," Mrs. Mills says. "Sadly for you, I was already invited somewhere else."

   "Why would I be sad?" I say, pulling a book out. "If I see you almost every day."

   She flickers the lights off as I near her, unzipping my bag to put my book in. "Because you won't get to taste my vanilla pumpkin pie," she explains. "It's a treasure only a few get to taste."

   I am tempted by her pie. "If that is the case, save me a piece."

   She raises an eyebrow. "Do you really think it's going to last all through Christmas and New Years?"

   "Fine," I say, opening the door for her. The quiet, soothing library room is suddenly filled with noise from the commotion going on in the hallways. "Make one so I can taste it here at school."

   "I wouldn't mind," she says, locking the library. "It would certainly be a better replacement for the Ritz."

   I laugh, agreeing with her.

   When she's done, I spread my arms open. "Have a nice break, Mrs. Mills."

   She joins me for a hug, patting my back. From close, she smells like roses and sweetness, like caramel or cinnamon. "You too, boy," she says. After that, she starts heading down the hallway where the teachers park their vehicles while I walk the opposite way.