5 𖠇 Claustrophobic Parties

"How was your game?" I ask Harvey as he keeps his eyes glued on the road.

   "Oh, right," he says. "It was canceled." He stops at a red light and looks at me. "They probably chickened out after knowing that they were going to face the Sunset High Phoenixes."

"I guess they did," I say, smiling.

   He grins. "So when did you move here?"

"Freshman year," I reply.

His eyes widen.

That is the only response I needed to know that he has never heard of me or known about my presence in his school. "I know," I say. "It is a shocker for everyone." I face him, chewing the inside of my cheek. "Some people even call me the New Kid'"

"I am sorry," he apologizes. "I just do not pay much attention to my classmates."

   I can easily rephrase what he said in a way that is more meaningful to him: I just do not pay much attention to those anti-social weirdos. Of course, I kept that to myself, unless I wanted him to stop the car right now and throw me out the door. Besides, there are files of books back at home on my computer, anxiously waiting to be read by thousands of people.

   "No worries," I tell him. "It's okay."

   The light turns green so he continues driving, not saying another word. Minutes later, he takes a right turn where music begins to blare loudly. I notice a two-stories, light-green house with colorful lights radiating from the windows. Outside, teenagers talk to one another, holding a red cup, while others run the nearest bush to vomit.

   "Here we are," he announces, parking the car not far from the house.

   I can feel my heart thrumming in my chest. "You are referring to the house right next to us?" I ask, pointing at the quiet house beside the loud one.

   He shakes his head. "The one with the music, Theo."

   "I am sorry, Harvey." My heart begins to beat faster. "I am not fond of parties."

   "Do not apologize for having fun," he says, unlocking the doors. "Come on."

I stare at the door before opening, having second thoughts about being here. Harvey waits for me right outside, waving at some of his friends that pass by. "I am going to ruin you the night," I warn him.

"You will not ruin my night as long as you stay by my side and promise to have fun," he says, grinning as we start crossing the road.

I chase him. "A promise to have fun?"

He looks back at me after reaching the other side. "Yes, Theo! That is what tonight is all about."

I admire his positivity, but can already feel guilty for soon about to be the party-pooper of the night. He should've known better than bringing the nerd to a party full of drunk yet cool teenagers.

   The music gets louder and louder as we walk to the house and so does my heartbeats. As soon as we step on the lawn, a boy with dark, short hair and dark-skinned walks up to us. "Look who has finally arrived!" he says, grinning and raising his cup on the air. "Harvey Cohen."

   Harvey smiles as the guy pats his shoulder. "How is it going, Jensen?"

   "Great now that you came to my party," he says. "Going inside?"

   Harvey nods as I remain by his side, looking down at the grass.

   "Beware, dude," he gives him a heads up.