4 𖠇 Night Book Discussions

Who would have a book discussion/date at night? All-day, I have been waiting for Harvey to send me a text to meet up. I was not expecting a response from him anymore by the time the moon came up. Eventually, though, as I am cuddling in my bed on a lazy Saturday, my phone vibrates underneath my pillow just as I close my eyes. I am expecting a text from my other mom since she has the habit of sending me a goodnight text before going to sleep—but it is not her this time.

Of course, it is Harvey.

I squint my eyes at the screen before deciding to grab my glasses from the bedside table. 'Ready for the book discussion?' the text says.

Confused, I type: Right now? Through text?

He only takes a minute to respond back with a map of his location. 'Wear something cute!' is written underneath with a winking emoji.

I look at my clock.

10:42 pm.

Then, my eyes travel to my laptop resting on my working desk. The place where I get to sit down in peace and write my books—even my moms know not to interrupt me when I am sitting on that desk.

"How dare you call me this late?" Genesis snaps after three rings.

I place the phone on my bathroom counter and start combing my curly hair as I stand in front of the mirror. "Harvey wants to meet right now," I tell her.

I can hear her straightening up in her bed. "Late night studying sounds suspicious."

I feel a shiver run down my spine. "Do you think he wants to do that already?"

"No, Theo," she says. "Harvey does not like to have sex unless the two are dating."

The word 'sex' is supposed to be a turn-on for a sixteen-year-old—but trust me when I say that I am far from that. Instead, I want to be in my bed and just sleep as much as I can. Besides, aren't virgins meant to fear sex? Especially if it is between two men since things work a little differently.

"Then why would he want to discuss the book at night?" I ask her, taking my phone from the counter back to my bedroom.

"He got me there," she says. "I guess he is planning something."

"He did tell me to wear something cute," I admit, sitting on my bed.

"What are you going to wear?" she asks.

I look at my closet, not sure yet. "Probably some shorts and a t-shirt."

Genesis rolls her eyes. "You can not be serious right now."

I slide the closet door open. "What?"

"He told you to wear something cute!" she reminds me. "Show me what you got."

   I point the camera to the clothes, slowly sliding the shirts so she can see them clearly. Suddenly, she blurts out, "That one!"

   I pull it out, puzzled. "The purple one with Barney?"

   "God no!" she snarls. "The yellow flannel."

I put the phone down on my bed, facing down so she will not see me as I take my shirt off. I am too self-conscious about my body, like most teenagers my age, so I try to avoid changing in front of strangers. That is the same reason why I never joined a sports class in my life—besides, I am not that interested in sports.

Of course, I want a well-built body—like Harvey's—but I do not find myself ever going to the gym. I have begged my mom many times to use the spare room in the house as the exercise room, but she said it was cheaper if I simply joined athletics at my school. Yeah—like that is going to happen with the jerks that play in the team.