20 𖠇 A Thanksgiving With Harvey

"I am leaving," I announce to my mothers as I head to the door. "Harvey is here."

   My mom is leaning on the sink as my momma remains on the stool. Their eyes rest on me, perplexed. "So soon?" momma asks me.

   I nod, resting my head on the knob. "Yes."

   Mom walks up to me. "We have not eaten the turkey yet?"

   I glance at the two, surprised by how easily they have changed. A few seconds ago when I was curled in my bed, I could still hear them arguing. That did not hurt as much as the fact that they did not notice me leave the kitchen, though.

   "I'm sorry," I tell them.

   I twist the door and pull the knob, ready to head out. However, there is someone blocking my way out.

   "Oh," Harvey says, fist in the air. "I was going to knock."

   I hear my parents scurry behind me, gazing out the door.

   "Hello, Mrs. Walker," Harvey says, smiling at the two of them, not sure to who he is referring to. "And—"

   "Mrs. Walker," mom says, extending her hand.

   Harvey shakes it. "Sorry for the confusion," he apologizes. "I did not know which of the two is Theo's mother."

   "We both are," momma brings up, standing above my shoulder with her arms crossed. "Theodore is our son."

   Harvey looks at me and then at them. "Oh," he simply blurts out, raising his eyebrows. "Cool."

   I head out to the chilly front yard and grab Harvey's hand to pull him with me. "Let's go," I mutter, not looking back.

   Harvey follows me, waving back at my mothers. "Goodbye," he says out loud, "and happy Thanksgiving!"

   We hop into his car and I quickly buckle myself. "That was quick," I say as soon as he rests behind the steering wheel.

   "Yeah," he says. "I was picking up some green tea at the store." He points to the back seats. "My grandma cannot live without her drink."

   I look behind and, sure enough, there is a white bag resting on the seats. "I did not know that the stores were open during the Holidays."

   He starts the engine. "Some are."

   He begins driving, eyes on the road even though there are barely any vehicles outside. He gives me a quick glance. "You look very cute today," he breaks the silence. "I've never seen you on a suit."

   I grin. "Then cherish this moment because this is the last time I'll wear one."

   "What a bummer," he says, blowing a whistle. "Why is that?"

   I shrug. "Too uncomfortable."

   "Are the pants too tight?"

   I look at him, tilting my head to the side. "Did you notice?"

   He releases a short chuckle. "Your behind does look a little perkier than usual."

   I am grateful that it is quite dark inside or he would see the redness taking over my cheeks at this instant. "Do you think your parents will notice?" I suddenly bring up, already embarrassed even though I haven't seen them yet.

   "I hope they do," he says. "Then they'll see why I'm so into you."

   I hit his shoulder and he starts laughing.