26 𖠇 The Moon Shines for Us

"Are you sure your mother won't mind?" Oscar asks me for the third time as we wait on the sidewalk, the on-and-off, multicolored lights glowing in the background as the sun starts to settle down. Al's eyes are fixated on the rides as she rests on her father's chest with an arm wrapped around his neck and her head leaning on his shoulder. After an hour and a half of roaming the place, her legs were too tired to move on.

   I glance at him and shake my head. "Don't be nervous," I say, resting a hand on his shoulder. "She will not mind at all."

   Headlights point to our eyes as a car park in front of us. "This is her," I tell Oscar, heading to the passenger's seat and opening the door. "Will you give them a ride home?"

   "Yes," she agrees, waving her hands at them to come in. "Of course!" She pushes a few stacks of thick, heavy binders to the side to give Oscar and Al some space. "Sorry for the mess back here," she apologizes. "We are used to only being the two of us most of the time."

   "It's fine, Mrs. Walker," he tells her, taking a seat and helping her push the binders to the side.

   She looks at Al and smiles. "Who's that beautiful young lady you got here?" she says.

   Oscar smiles, looking at Al as he settles her next to him. "Allison."

   My mom hands her a lollipop she randomly had on the headboard and begins to turn on the engine. "Your sister?"

   I look back at Oscar and before I can change the topic, he responds, "My daughter."

   My mom widens her eyes for a few seconds before acknowledging her reaction and appearing less startled. "You've got a gorgeous daughter," she adds, driving into the street. "What's your name?"

   "Oscar Ashford, ma'am," he replies.

   The ride to Oscar's home is not quite like I expected. On the way there, my mother brings the most random conversations and Oscar simply follows along, smiling at me through the rearview mirror. Most questions coming from her involve parenting and how things change and how quickly children grow up. Somehow, I manage to feel left out since I am the only one inside the vehicle with no children—and Al, of course. 

   "Thankfully, Theo did not give me much trouble growing up," she goes on, eyes on the street. "Is it here?" she asks after taking a curve.

   I recognize the trailer immediately. "It is," I respond.

   She knits both eyebrows. "You've been here?"

   "For the project," I remind her. "Remember?"

   "Right," she says.

   "Thank you, Mrs. Walker," Oscar says, picking up Al in his arms once again. "It was nice meeting you."

   "You too, Oscar," she says, watching him get out. "Have a goodnight."

   Oscar does not turn around, coming to my side of the window and asking, "Actually, I was wondering if Theo could help me with something from school?" He looks at me for a while and then back at her.

   "Mom," I say, looking at her, "would you mind if I stay?"

   I look at my mother and wait for a response.

   She remains quiet for a while, checking her watch. "As long as you take care and do not get home late," she says.

   I grin, giving her a quick kiss on the forehead before hopping down. As she drives away, Oscar and I wave at her until we can no longer see her.

   "There's no work, is there?" I ask Oscar as we walk up to his front door. "I will be very disappointed if there actually is."

   "There's not," he says, giving a short laugh as he unlocks the door with the key that rested on his back pocket. "I just wanted more time with you."