27 𖠇 Burns You To The Core

The next day, as I walk into my English class, I expect myself to feel some sort of embarrassment for what happened the previous night on top of the barn, but as soon as I see Oscar notice me and enlighten my day with his smile, the uncomfortable feeling fades away entirely. Understandably enough, his smile disappears as soon as he spots Harvey behind me waiting for our quick kiss.

   I take a quick glance at Oscar as if signaling him to not witness this before I give Harvey a peck on the lips.

   "Would it be okay for you to come have dinner with my family after school?" he asks, resting a hand on my shoulder.

   I raise both eyebrows. "You're taking this a little too far," I let him know. "Should I remind you how real this is between me and you?" I point at the two of us.

   He tightens his jaw and looks around, hoping nobody heard me. "Please," he begs. "They saw you last time and are expecting to see you again soon."

   "Only your mother did." I sigh loudly, puckering my lips as I think this through. "Alright."

   "Thanks," he says.

   With that, he meets with his friends and I enter my class with every student eyeing me as if it isn't obvious enough. However, the only stare I care about is the boy with the blue eyes that has his sight on his lap. His gaze remains there as I take a seat by his side.

   "Hello, stranger," I tell him, nudging his shoulder. "You okay?"

   He looks at me and shrugs. "How do you expect me to feel when the boy I like kisses another guy?"

   I remain quiet for a minute.

   "I am being a little too jealous, aren't I?" he says, forcing a short laugh. "I know the whole thing with Harvey is fake, but it still makes me feel things." He runs a hand over his hair as he shakes his head. "When I see you with him I get jealous, Theo, and I can't help it."

   "You're being fair," I correct him. "I also wouldn't be happy if someone else kissed you."

   He scoots close to me until our sides are touching to wrap his fingers around mine where no one can see them. With our hands intertwined, I give him a gentle squeeze. "Are we good?" I whisper.

   "We are good," he responds.

Those words give me peace, although, I wish there was no need for us to hide our relationship from everybody else. How immature of Harvey and I to continue this teenage act of fake lovers. The only comfort is that he and I won't be together for long and soon it will be Oscar's lips pressed against mine in the entrance of every class and his hand holding mine as we walk the hallways.

𖠇

   "So your parents think we are dating?" I ask Harvey after school as he drives me to his house. "Or should I act like a random hookup?"

   "No need for that, Theo," he says, eyes on the road. "Just act normal and you'll be fine."

   "Good luck with that," I warn him. "I have a gift of making a fool of myself in the most inconvenient moments."

   I stare out the window at the many houses, already feeling tingles on the palm of my hands from the fear of not meeting Harvey's parents' expectations. Nonetheless, I shouldn't be feeling like this if we are not actually dating, so who cares if I impress them or not when our love is not genuine at all?

   As we park outside the familiar Cohen mansion, I get off the vehicle and follow Harvey to the front footsteps as I take my glasses off to wipe the lenses.