21 𖠇 To Be Grateful

There is a knock outside of the Asher household after barely settling in the kitchen to enjoy their long-awaited meal. Truth be told, they wouldn't have taken this long to carve into the turkey, but Oscar had insisted on waiting for a special guest. But there was only much he could wait before he couldn't stand the growling tummy of his beloved daughter. So the three sat at the small, circular table once again for this year's holiday all by themselves.

   With the knife in hand, poking the roasting turkey, his gaze lands on the door. "He's here," he says, feeling a weight that has had him anxious all night disappear and be replaced with relief.

   "Who is, son?" his mother asks.

Oscar lays the knife down and sprints to the door. "You'll see."

I wait on the other side, arms wrapped around me when the door opens. "Hey!" I say, dropping my arms to the side. "I am here."

Oscar stands in the doorway, a dark strand of hair falling over his forehead. "For a second, you made me believe you wouldn't be here at all," he admits, smiling. He removes himself from the way and pulls the door open more. "Come in."

I step in, glad that I don't have to wrap my arms around me anymore to conceal myself from the Antarctica outside. "Thank you." As soon as I step in, I notice Mrs. Asher and Al sitting on the wooden table to my left. "Hey," I greet them, waving awkwardly.

Mrs. Asher stands up, heading over to me with her arms open. "I am glad that you could make it," she says, wrapping me into a hug. Now that we are touching, her scent of strawberries is enchanting and welcoming. "We are happy that someone else joins us at the table after years of only being three."

"You make it sound like it's depressing, mom," Oscar says, closing the door behind him.

"Oh, it's not," she adds. "Let me get an extra plate for you. . . ?"

"Theodore Walker," I introduce myself. "Just call me Theo, though."

She grins, patting my cheek. "You are home, Theo." With those words, she heads to the cabinets.

"Al," Oscar calls for her. "Come give Theo a hug."

She gets off the high chair by laying in her tummy and dangling her legs down until finding the floor. Once she's down, she walks my way as she plays with her fingers. "Hi," is all she says.

I grin, giving Oscar a glance before looking down at her again. I kneel down and open my arms, inviting her over for a hug. This time she does not look at her father for approval, running into me. A sudden joy bursts in my chest, like fireworks warming my inside. "I see that someone isn't as shy as before anymore," I tell her.

Mrs. Asher places the porcelain plate and a glass cup on the table to join the three others. "Now sit, Theo," she says, patting the spot before taking her own.

I settle down, Al and Mrs. Asher by my side as Oscar sits in front of me. There is a silver tray with a glistening turkey that has the tint smell of natural orange juice.

"You are not full, are you?" Oscar asks me, grabbing the knife settled in front of him. "Did Harvey feed you?"

"Not much." That is a lie. As soon as we got there, we went straight to his room instead of eating before arriving here minutes later. "Still hungry."

"Good," Oscar says.

"Hurry, Dad," Al brings up, staring at the food in front of her. "I'm hungry."

Everyone in the table laughs.

"Okay, okay," he says, diving the knife into the soft skin. He makes sure that the first piece he cuts goes to his daughter and then the rest.