one hundred and one - "captain cobalt" - one hundred and one

CONTINUATION OF LAST CHAPTER.

[a/n: i'm sorry, in advance. 😬]

Due to the virus, everyone couldn't just get up, drop everything, and rush to the hospital to see Anna. They couldn't stay at her bedside in her room, they couldn't hold her hand, they couldn't let her know that they were there, they couldn't calm their own fears by seeing her up close. Instead, Maggie, Amelia, Link, Richard, Bailey, Jo, Jackson, Ben, Teddy, and Owen were forced to keep an eye on her from afar, through groupchats, videochats, phone calls. They kept Alex, Cristina, April, Addison, Callie, and Arizona up to date too. Everyone was still worried about Meredith, having Anna sick in the hospital just added to that stress.

While Anna's condition slowly got better, Meredith's condition worsened as the days dragged by.

Richard geared up in full PPE, sliding open the door to Meredith's room, while checking her vitals on the monitor. After he glanced at her IV bag, he took in her pale appearance, standing at the end of her bed, "Your kids miss you, Meredith. They need their mother, now more than ever. You can't leave them behind, you won't, I choose to believe that. I choose to believe you will fully recover, without complications. This is a scary time for us all... it's an even scarier time for them. Imagine how they feel, Meredith?"

After exiting her room on the covid floor, Richard bumped into DeLuca, who wanted updates, "How's she doing?"

"Nothing's changed!" Richard snapped, hurrying from the floor and to the elevators, desperate to get outside, rip his mask off, and breathe in some fresh air.

Amelia and Maggie sat in the tents outside of Grey Sloan, fearing the worst. Amelia got up from the table, passing by Bailey who entered the tent, "Where are you going? Dr. Shepherd?"

Amelia marched past her, entering the hospital, heading to the stairwell. As she hurried up each step, she calmed herself down, opening the door to Anna's floor. She walked past reception, a determined look in her eyes, when she was stopped by Jo, "Dr. Shepherd, you know you're not supposed to be up here."

"Jo, I'm going in that room. I'm seeing my niece. Noone and nothing can stop me." Amelia dared anyone to physically try to remove her.

Jo glanced around at the attention Amelia got, lowering her voice, "I get it. Just- be quick, okay? Bailey will kill me if she knows you're up here."

Amelia's steps faultered as she got closer to Anna. She opened the door, quickly closing it, feeling her heart race at the sight in front of her. Anna looked sickly, she had shed off healthy weight, had dark circles under her eyes, her face looked slimmer. Amelia fought against her natural instincts to comfort her niece, forcing herself to keep her distance and not touch her. The tears started before she could even stop them.

"God, Anna... all I want is for you to wake up. 'Cause if you do, there's a chance that Meredith will, too, and I just can't even think about losing either of you." Amelia's voice was barely audible through her tears and mask, "You don't have covid... you can survive this. You've survived worse, so much worse."

She let her tears fall, not daring to touch anywhere near her eyes, "I just wanna hug you, but I can't. So... I just wanted to say that I'm here and I love you. Okay. I love you, Anna."

Amelia left her room, terrified of losing the only real blood family member she had that gave a shit about her and vice versa.