two - "ferryboats" - two

"It's all about lines. The finish line at the end of residency. Waiting in line for a chance at the operating table. And then there's the most important line, the line separating you from the people you work with. It doesn't help to get too familiar. To make friends. You need boundaries between you and the rest of the world. Other people are far too messy. It's all about lines. Drawing lines in the sand and praying like hell no one crosses them. So you can waste your life drawing lines or you can live your life crossing them. But there are some lines that are way too dangerous to cross. Here's what I know. If you're willing to take the chance, the view from the other side is spectacular."
-Meredith Grey, S1E2, "The First Cut is The Deepest"

"We live out our lives on the surgical unit. Seven days a week, 14 hours a day. We're together more than we're apart. After a while, the ways of residency, become the ways of life. Number one: Always keep score. Number two: Do whatever you can to outsmart the other guy. Number three: Don't make friends with the enemy. Oh, and yeah, number four: Everything, everything, is a competition. There's another way to survive this competition. A way no one ever seems to tell you about. One you have to learn for yourself. Number five: It's not about the race. At all. There are no winners or losers. Victories are counted by the number of lives saved. And, once in a while, if you're smart, the life you save could be your own."
-Meredith Grey, S1E3, "Winning a Battle, Losing the War"

Anna and her father entered the elevator for another morning at Seattle Grace Hospital. They waited for the elevator to reach the surgical floor as more people got off, came on, and the recycle repeated. When the elevator opened again, Meredith got on. She gave Anna a polite smile and then moved behind Derek.

"Seattle has ferryboats." Derek said, looking back at Anna and Meredith.

"Yes." Meredith said.

"I didn't know that. I've been living here six weeks. I didn't know there were ferryboats."

"Seattle is surrounded by water on three sides."

"Hence the ferryboats." Derek said, as the elevator dinged and they all walked off, "Now I have to like it here. I wasn't planning on liking it here. I'm from New York. I'm genetically engineered to dislike everywhere, except Manhattan. I have a thing for ferryboats."

Meredith watched Anna walk away and then whispered, "I'm not going out with you."

"Did I ask you to go out with me? Do you want to go out with me?"

"I'm not dating you, and I'm definitely not sleeping with you again. You're my boss."

"I'm your boss's boss."

"You're my teacher and my teacher's teacher. And you're my teacher."

"I'm your sister. I'm your daughter."

"You're sexually harassing me." Meredith looked at Anna who sat down by the nurses station, "Look, I'm drawing a line. The line is drawn. There's a big line."

"So, this line, is it imaginary, or do I need to get you a marker?"

Meredith walked away and Derek greeted Cheif of surgery, Dr. Richard Webber, as they stood in front of the board.

"How's Anna liking Seattle?" Dr. Webber crossed his arms.

"She says, she's glad we're not around the New York noise anymore." They shared a laugh.

"Thank you for coming out here on such short notice."

"You knew I would, Richard."

"Yeah, well, glad to have you," Dr. Webber looked over at Anna, "I can keep her busy if you're overbooked for surgeries again."