forty - nine - "give me privileges" - forty - nine

"The human body is designed to compensate for loss. It adapts, so it no longer needs the thing it can't have. But sometimes the loss is too great, and the body can't compensate on its own. That's when surgeons get involved. We're so hopeful at the beginning of things. It seems like there's only a world to be gained, not lost. They say the inability to accept loss is a form of insanity, it's probably true. But sometimes, it's the only way to stay alive."
-Meredith Grey, S8E5, "Love, Loss and Legacy"

"As babies, we were easy. One cry meant you were hungry, another you were tired. It's only as adults that we become difficult. We start to hide feelings, put up walls. It gets to the point where we never really know what anyone thinks or feels. Without meaning to, we become masters of disguise. It's not always easy to speak your mind, sometimes you need to be forced to do it. Sometimes, it's better to just keep things to yourself, play dumb, even when your whole body is aching to come clean. So you shut your mouth, keep your secret, and find other ways to keep yourself happy."
-Meredith Grey, S8E6, "Poker Face"

"Surgeons can't be lazy, the risks are too great. The second we stop pushing ourselves, something terrible happens. Something we never see coming. So we may not always be winners. But we're not lazy. We take chances. We go for broke. We swing for the fences. And sometimes, yeah, we strike out. But sometimes, you get a home run."
-Meredith Grey, S8E7, "Put Me In, Coach"

"Say you're in the O.R. repairing a vena cava, when suddenly, everything goes to hell. So you cut this, suture that and soon that crappy situation is a thing of the past. Too bad you can't meet all of life's challenges with a surgical scalpel. I mean, you could try. But I'm pretty sure that'd be considered assault. It's a little bit horrifying just how quickly everything can fall to crap. Sometimes it takes a huge loss to remind you of what you care about the most. Sometimes you find yourself becoming stronger as a result, wiser, better equipped to deal with the next big disaster that comes along. Sometimes. But not always."
-Meredith Grey, S8E8, "Heart Shaped Box"

"I'm not doing this anymore!" Anna exclaimed, glancing at her father who was equally frustrated.

"Get out." Derek said, unbuckling his seatbelt.

Anna unbuckled her seatbelt, opening the driver's door, as her dad walked down the ditch and got in the car. She stepped back, watching him back the car out of the ditch, and got back in. The ride back home was silent.

"How'd it go?" Meredith greeted them at the front door.

"I don't wanna practice with him. He yells and it makes me even more nervous." Anna said, heading up the stairs.

"I yelled because you drove into a ditch!" Derek shouted, "You have to listen to me, Anna! I can't control the car from the passenger's seat!"

"Did she damage the car?" Meredith asked.

"No."

"You're both fine?"

"Yeah."

"Why are you being so hard on her?" Meredith asked, knowing he was stressed, "She's gonna make mistakes, but she'll learn."

"That's great." Derek nodded, heading towards the kitchen, "You can give her her next driving lesson then."

Meredith rolled her eyes as she continued folding laundry. She froze, seeing one of Zola's onesies at the bottom of the basket. They all missed her so much.

~ GREY'S ANATOMY ~

"Abdomen's tender and distended."