four - "evil spawn" - four

"Okay. Anyone who says you can sleep when you die, tell them to come talk to me after a few months as an intern. Of course, it's not just the job that keeps us up all night. I mean, if life's so hard already, why do we bring more trouble down on ourselves? What's up with the need to hit the self-destruct button? Maybe we like the pain. Maybe we're wired that way. Because without it, I don't know, maybe we just wouldn't feel real. What's that saying? Why do I keep hitting myself with a hammer? Because it feels so good when I stop."
-Meredith Grey, S1E7, "The Self-Destruct Button"

"You know how when you were a kid and you believed in fairy tales? That fantasy of what your life would be - white dress, prince charming who'd carry you away to a castle on a hill. You'd lie in your bed at night and close your eyes and you had complete and utter faith. Santa Claus, the tooth fairy, prince charming -they were so close you could taste them. But eventually you grow up and one day you open your eyes and the fairy tale disappears. Most people turn to the things and people they can trust. But the thing is, it's hard to let go of that fairy tale entirely because almost everyone has that smallest bit of hope and faith that one day they would open their eyes and it would all come true. At the end of the day, faith is a funny thing. It turns up when you don't really expect it. It's like one day you realize that the fairy tale may be slightly different than you dreamed. The castle, well, it may not be a castle. And it's not so important that it's happy ever after. Just that it's happy right now. See once in a while, once in a blue moon, people will surprise you, and once in a while people may even take your breath away."
-Meredith Grey, S1E8, "Save Me"

"Well, at least we know brain surgery isn't his only skill."

"They can't be. He's her boss."

"He's all of our boss. She has been scrubbing in a lot lately on his surgeries."

"No, Meredith wouldn't sleep with him just to-"

"No. If she's not ashamed, why is it a secret?"

"Maybe she didn't. Maybe it just happened. You know, spontaneously."

Izzie and George's conversation came to a halt as they carried their breakfast outside and found Anna sitting down. They shared a look before greeting her.

"Anna?" Izzie started, "Can I ask you a personal question?"

George shot her daggers and almost kicked her under the table. Anna furrowed her eyebrows in confusion, "What?"

"Why does your dad bring you to work everyday?" She asked, "I mean, why can't you stay at home with your mom?"

"Don't have a biological mom around," Anna answered, "Only mom I ever knew is working in New York."

"Oh." Izzie grinned, "Don't have any other family around?"

"Izzie!" George bulged his eyes out, trying to stop her from snooping around in Shepherd family business, "Just... stop. Forget about it."

"What's up with you guys?" Anna asked, "It's too early to be acting this weird."

"Nothing." They said at the same time.

~ GREY'S ANATOMY ~

"Have you seen Shepherd?"

"Not as up close as Meredith has."

"What? Are you trying to get her in trouble? This program will make or break our careers. Some of us will make it through, and some of us won't. And that decision depends entirely on recommendations from doctors like Shepherd. There is a reason we don't sleep with the attendings."