seventy - seven - "derek bailey shepherd" - seventy - seven

"I used to spend hours studying old footage of my mother's surgeries. I dissected every move, every cut, every decision. I was piecing together a puzzle, watching, studying, learning. It's a luxury we don't have when the patient is splayed open in front of us. We can't rewind. There's no replay. We just have to cut and hope to God we know what the hell we're doing. Hindsight is always 20/20. It's easy to figure out what you should have done when you replay it. You see your mistakes. You know how you'd correct them. But that's the kicker, isn't it?"
-Meredith Grey, S12E18, "There's a Fine, Fine Line"

"Surgeons have a saying: all bleeding must stop. It's sort of our version of "this too shall pass". Every crisis will eventually come to an end. You either save your patient, or you won't. So, one way or the other, the bleeding will stop. Actually, as far as sayings go, this one's really not all that comforting. All bleeding must stop. Sometimes, it does so at a cost. You lose the arm, remove the organ. You choose to live with the loss, because at the end of the day, you'll do whatever you can to stay alive. And sometimes, by some miracle, it works. The bleeding stops. But sometimes, now matter how hard you try, it's still not enough."
-Meredith Grey, S12E19, "It's Alright, Ma (I'm Only Bleeding)"

"Surgeons are often evaluated on speed and efficiency, but that doesn't mean faster is always better. You jump the gun, you risk making the wrong diagnosis. We don't always have the time to think before we act and that's what gets us in trouble. Once that first shot is fired, we're committed. There's almost no way to take it back. The question becomes: do we keep firing back and declare an all-out war?"
-Meredith Grey, S12E20, "Trigger Happy"

"Sometimes, you can't go it alone. You need someone on your side. In medicine, we have surgical assists, second opinions. We stack our deck. We're dealing with life and death here. You don't want to get caught with your pants down. The thing about being on a team is, it's a commitment. You have to bring it. You have to help with the win, no matter what. You may not always like your teammates. You have to learn to share the ball. You have to be all-in, one side or the other. But if you play hard, give it your all, really commit, victory is that much sweeter."
-Meredith Grey, S12E21, "You're Gonna Need Someone on Your Side"

"There's this Bible story. Two women both claim to be the mother of the same child. King Solomon had to choose. Two mothers, only one gets the kid. Solomon came up with a plan. He proposed a 50/50 split. Literally. He offered to chop the kid in half. It all ends if one mom relinquishes her custody, or else they both stand their ground, and the kid gets torn apart. If you're wondering how the Solomon story ends, spoiler alert. The true mom would rather give her baby up than have it ripped in two. But what happens when there are two true mothers? That's a no win situation. That is an entirely different story."
-Meredith Grey, S12E22, "Mama Tried"

Ben was being questioned by the committee for performing emergency surgery on a patient without the surpervision or approval of a resident, Amelia and Owen were taking their relationship to the next level, and Callie and Arizona were going to court for custody of Sofia. Anna woke up, watching her siblings as Meredith, Maggie, and Amelia got ready for work. Meredith would be leaving the hospital to attend court with Dr. Webber, Dr. Bailey, and Deluca who were also witnesses.

Anna turned on cartoons, holding Ellis as the doorbell rang. Zola and Bailey were eating their breakfast in the livingroom. Anna opened the door, seeing Callie hugging Sofia, "Hi. Sofia, you're gonna stay here and play while mommy's busy. Be good for Anna."

"Hi, Sofia." Anna smiled, greeting her, "There's some breakfast for you in the livingroom. Zola and Bailey are watching cartoons."

Callie smiled, watching Sofia run off to sit next to Zola, "Thank you for doing this, Anna. I know your plate's already full with those three."