seventy - nine - "bring your girlfriend to work day" - seventy - nine

"Every patient who gets bad news wants to be the exception. The one in a million. The miracle. But surgeons don't believe in miracles. We have to make them happen. Miracles aren't always huge. The fever breaks, the stitch holds, the bone heals. That's why they can be so hard to spot and why they can be such a pain in the ass. Don't get me wrong. Tiny miracles are great. A little miracle's a miracle. It just may not be enough to save us."
-Meredith Grey, S13E3, "I Ain't No Miracle Worker"

"The harder the hit, the more it'll sting. That's usually the case. So we prescribe meds, ice, compression, elevation. Things you do to stop the immediate pain. But you can only dull the pain for so long, and when the drugs start to wear off, it really hurts. There's a reason these fixes are called temporary. They were never meant to last forever. So what happens when you're faced with a fix that's more permanent? Do you fight it? Do you try to resist? Or do you step back and decide that maybe acceptance is the best fix of all?"
-Meredith Grey, S13E4, "Falling Slowly"

"There's a reason the punchline to so many doctor jokes starts with "I've got good news, and bad news." Often, the bad news is so bad, when something good comes along, we tend to go a little overboard. Every cloud has a silver lining. But it's still a cloud. A cloud can mean a shower, or a storm. So, you take your good days where you get them. You try to stay positive. You try to remember that even in the bad news, there's good news for someone."
-Meredith Grey, S13E5, "Both Sides Now"

"You know that story where a child gets trapped under a car and their parent finds the superhuman strength to lift the car and save the child's life? I always wondered if that was real. If someone I cared about was hurt or trapped, would my instincts kick in? Would I know what to do? Would I lift the car? Jump in front of the bullet? Would I be able to beat somebody senseless? I like to think I would. When someone you love is in physical danger, finding the strength you need to save them is easy. But sometimes the threat isn't physical. Sometimes, it goes deeper, in which case, no instincts can save you. No superhuman strength, no adrenaline rush. You can't power your way out of the crashing car. All you can do is sit and wait and wish things were different."
-Meredith Grey, S13E6, "Roar"

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it. The saying's as true of the human body as it is of a washing machine or a blender. A good surgeon knows that if you go screwing around with something that doesn't need screwing, you are the one who is liable to end up screwed. It's hard to admit when we're wrong, but even though everything looks fine, there's a problem. Something is broken and you have to see where it's broken and set about fixing it or it's all gonna come apart."
-Meredith Grey, S13E7, "Why Try to Change Me Now"

"There's this family in Italy, who never slept. They suffered from a genetic disease that kept them awake, for months. Until their bodies just shut down. Even after all these years, scientists still don't really know why we sleep. We just know we have to sleep, because without it, we make poor decisions, we say things we shouldn't, and sometimes, we see things that aren't there. We've all hit that point of exhaustion. The point where nothing makes sense anymore. Your body hurts, your brain becomes foggy, and you feel like you're trapped in a tunnel. When all you want is your bed. So, how do you keep going? How do you not just sit down and give up? Sometimes it's easy. Sometimes you play games in your head. You make up someone. Someone good. Whatever you need. To keep you going."
-Meredith Grey, S13E8, "The Room Where It Happens"

"What dress are you wearing?" Maggie asked Anna, standing beside Meredith and Amelia.

"Dress?" Anna asked, "Um... I'm not gonna wear a dress."