ten - "chief" - ten

"In surgery, there is a red line on the floor that marks the point where the hospital goes from being accessible to being off limits to all but a special few. Crossing the line unauthorized is not tolerated. In general, lines are there for a reason. For safety. For security. For clarity. If you choose to cross the line, you pretty much do so at your own risk. So why is it, that the bigger the line, the greater the temptation to cross it? We can't help ourselves. We see a line, we want to cross it. Maybe it's the thrill of trading the familiar for the unfamiliar. A sort of personal dare. Only problem is, once you've crossed it's almost impossible to go back. But if you do manage to make it back across that line you find safety in numbers."
-Meredith Grey, S2E15, "Break on Through"

"It's a look patients get in their eyes. There is a scent, the smell of death. Some kind of sixth sense. When the great beyond is headed for you, you feel it coming. What's the one thing you've always dreamed of doing before you die? Okay, hello? Clearly not my dream. See, I told you. Not my dream."
-Meredith Grey, S2E16, "It's The End of The World"

"In hospitals, they say you know. You know when you're going to die. Some doctors say it's a look patients get in their eyes. Some say there’s a scent, a smell of death. Some think there's just some kind of sixth sense, when the great beyond is headed for you, you feel it coming. Whatever it is, it's creepy. Because if you know, what do you do about it? Forget about the fact that you're scared out of your mind. If you knew this was your last day on earth, how would you want to spend it?"
-Meredith Grey, S2E17, "As We Know It"

"After careful consideration and many sleepless nights, here's what I've decided. There's no such thing as a grown-up. We move on, we move out, we move away from our families and form our own. But the basic insecurities, the basic fears and all those old wounds just grow up with us. And just when we think that life and circumstances have forced us truly, once and for all become an adult, your mother says something like that. Or worse, something like that. We get bigger, we get taller, we get older. But, for the most part, we're still a bunch of kids, running around the playground, trying desperately to fit in. I've heard that it's possible to grow up, I've just never met anyone who's actually done it. Without parents to defy, we break the rules we make for ourselves. We throw tantrums when things don't go our way. We whisper secrets with our best friend, in the dark. We look for comfort where we can find it. And we hope against all logic, against all experience, like children, we never give up hope."
-Meredith Grey, S2E18, "Yesterday"

Derek, Addison, and Anna stopped at the back of the crowd right out front of Seattle Grace's enterance. Nurses on strike held signs as they began chanting. Addison wrapped her arm around Anna and Derek led the way through the crowd. Dr. Webber was standing inside, near the enterance, watching the chaos unfold. Patricia was next to him, "Know why I stopped being a nurse? Doctors. Doctors who don't know how to pitch in."

"Right."

"This place is going to hell. We need the real nurses. We need 40 nurses to relieve the overtime that they're striking about."

"That's $2 million a year we don't have."

"Have you checked under the couch?" Derek asked, heading the elevators with Anna and Addison trailing along, "I always find spare change there."

"They're gonna be out there all day?" Anna asked.

"They're passionate. They want to get through to the Chief." Addison said, "I admire that. They'll stay on strike for as long as it takes."

"Richard will come to his senses when swamped interns and rushed doctor's start killing patients." Derek said, as the elevator stopped and the doors opened to his floor.