ninety - one - "code pink" - ninety - one

"Pharmaceuticals are designed to mimic the body's natural brain chemicals. The ones that make you feel good, make you feel better, make you feel unstoppable. They make it in a lab and put it in a pill for pain relief, giving you the high your body creates naturally every time you do something you love. They call it a high for a reason. Because the flip side is really low. The chemical version isn't worth what comes after. But the dopamine rush from a job well done? That's free. And it's one of the very best parts of being alive."
-Meredith Grey, S15E14, "I Want a New Drug"

"In 1967, surgeons in South Africa performed the first successful heart transplant. The following year, there were 100 heart transplants worldwide. The problem was the patients kept dying. So the following year, transplants fell to 18. Kinda seems like people were a little too eager to celebrate. Surgeons are reluctant to celebrate. Even in succes, we obsess over what could have been better. And don't get me wrong, that self reflection is important. We only get better when we admit our shortcomings, acknowledge our limits. But there are so many moments along the way to celebrate. Some of those moments are bigger than others, and you really don't wanna miss those moments. Because believe me when I say, the bad times are gonna find you all on their own."
-Meredith Grey, S15E15, "We Didn't Start the Fire"

"All diseases have a genetic component. But of course, genes are not always to blame. In diagnosing a disease, physicians must take into account other factors: their environment, their lifestyle, ... However, some genetic traits are, annoyingly, unavoidable. Thanks, Mom. Blood is thicker than water. It means the family you're born into is important above all else, right? Wrong. The original proverb goes a little differently. It actually says, "The blood of the covenant is thicker than the water of the womb." Meaning the bloodshed on the proverbial battlefield bonds us more than simple genetics. And yes, DNA matters when it comes to medical history. But I'm a doctor and I say family is family. I don't give a crap whose blood you have."
-Meredith Grey, S15E16, "Blood and Water"

"When I was in second grade, this girl Missy could cross her legs behind her head like a pretzel. And one day, her leg just popped and then it was lying there, behind her. My mother said, "Stop crying. It was just an anterior hip dislocation." Then she said something I've never forgotten: "Just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should." Just because you can, doesn't mean you should. It's the kind of advice a mother gives a kid. But as my mother would be the first to tell you, she never followed it. It got her in a lot of trouble. It also won her awards. That's how records are broken, how moons are stepped on, diseases are cured, by people who are willing to try. We call these people innovators. Fearless. Genius. We call them reckless. Thoughtless. Dangerous. It's hard to know which one we are. It's hard to know if what we're doing is just crazy or if it's going to change everything."
-Meredith Grey, S15E17, "And Dream of Sheep"

"Anesthesiology is a lot more challenging than it looks. Because it's mostly math. A patient's weight, their estimated blood volume, their lung function, all these variables have to be accounted for. It takes careful calculation to suspend a person between life and death. If one of those variables is off, you might wake up in the middle of your surgery. Or never wake up at all. If only life's variables were as cut and dried as the rules of mathematics. If only there were clear answers, certainty, clarity, right or wrong. But all you can do is eliminate as many unknowns as possible. Then pick an answer and hope. Hope that at the end of the day, it's an answer you can live with."
-Meredith Grey, S15E18, "Add It Up"

"When there's a poisonous snake in our path, we freeze. When we smell smoke, we run. When faced with danger, fear takes over and we react, desperate to feel safe. It's biological, primal. But for someone who suffers from trauma, it's the everyday things. A song in a coffee shop, the smell of rubbing alcohol, seemingly random, common things, convincing your brain and body you're in danger. And there is no way out. Too often, trauma gets dismissed as just in our head. But the pain is real. We feel it, in our muscles, our cells, our hearts, our heads. And while there's no magic fix, no pill to make it disappear, we can ask for help. And we can tell our truth, whenever we're ready."
-Meredith Grey, S15E19, "Silent All These Years"