eighty - five - "team merder" - eighty - five

"On their death bed, nobody wishes they'd worked more. That's the traught little phrase people tried out when they want to play hookey, or spend too much money, or shame working parents for missing their kids' soccer game for a board meeting. On your death bed, no one wishes they'd worked more. Tell that to the people who love their work. It's not about whether you spend your life in a boardroom, your bedroom, or a beach with a mai tai in Maui, when you look back on your life, the only thing that matters is: Did you spend it doing what you love, with the people you love? Were you happy? Did you make the most of this beautiful, terrifying, messed up life? Did you let go of all the things that held you back? So you can hold on to what matters most."
-Miranda Bailey, S14E11, "(Don't Fear) The Reaper"

"We've all heard the quote: "Genius is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration." Easy for Thomas Edison to say. He had all the good ideas. Inspiration is not some mystical, unattainable thing. Inspiration is a seed. That seed turns into vision. That vision turns into a goal. And hopefully, that goal turns into victory. I said, hopefully."
-Meredith Grey, S14E12, "Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger"

"The longest surgery on record lasted for four days straight. A team of surgeons rotated in and out, holding scalpels for sometimes 18 hours at a stretch. Try holding anything in your hand for 18 hours. Now imagine you're also holding a human life. When you hold on to anything for too long, your muscles conform to the position you're holding. That applies to the heart and the mind, as well as the hand. The pain you know is coming is what makes it easier to just keep holding on."
-Meredith Grey, S14E13, "You Really Got a Hold on Me"

"For surgeons, every day is game day. We've trained. We've practiced. We know the rules. Unlike the laws of science, the rules of life aren't always clear. Some rules are unwritten. Some rules are open to interpretation. And just when we think we have a handle on the rules, something comes along that totally changes the game."
-Meredith Grey, S14E14, "Games People Play"

"On average, a healthy heart beats 115,000 times per day. When excited, the heart rate can double. The heart pumps 2,000 gallons of blood through your entire body 24 hours a day. It never rests. The heart is the hardest-working muscle in your body. But when it’s damaged, it’s just like skin. It scars, and scar tissue can be very dangerous in a heart. It weakens it. And eventually, a heart full of scars stops working. Scarred hearts don’t heal, but over time, the scars can change. They can become smoother, softer. And some scars can even fade away."
-Meredith Grey, S14E15, "Old Scars, Future Hearts"

"The first surgeons were vivisectionists. When they opened a body, they had no intention of closing it. They just wanted to see what was inside. And what they found was a world of possibility. The possibility to heal, to reverse the damage, to turn back time. When the worst of our fears are realized, when everything we’ve counted on has disappeared, something still drives us to try to fix the past, or to find our future, when the only thing that needs our attention is the present. And its infinite possibilities."
-Meredith Grey, S14E16, "Caught Somewhere in Time"

"24 hours. 1,440 minutes. 86,400 seconds. That's all it takes for a patient to go from sick to healthy, from hopeful to dire. One day can you bring back from the brink, change your entire life in one heartbeat, one single breath. It's why doctors watch you like a hawk, hold you for observation. It's why we behave as if your every move, every sound, every input and output, is life or death. Because it is. 24 hours. 1,440 minutes. 86,400 seconds. That's all it takes to save your life. To change your life. One single day can pull us from the depths of despair. And one single day can fill us with more possibilities than we could imagine."
-April Kepner, Owen Hunt, and Meredith Grey, S14E17, "One Day Like This"