Make Amends...

"I'm going to miss you tonight." He whispered in her ear as he stood behind her in the kitchen.

Her cheeks turned red and she nudged him in the ribs.

"Well like you said it's Fatos, my best friend. I promised her I'll be home tonight." She countered recovering herself.

"Fine... I'll leave then. Thanks for the dinner" He smiled and kissed her cheek.

He drove home happily. Just seeing her after a busy day at work relaxed him and the surprise, she prepared for him was icing on the cake. He always had his way but only she held the power to make him agree to her wishes.

Next morning, when he went to his office, he found Pelin among the prospective designers presenting ideas for their new resort.

"What are you doing here?" He asked her.

"My firm has decided to establish its presence in Istanbul, and they want me to head it. I'm representing them." She explained to him.

"Nice to see you back." Engin joined them.

"You do know that we consider only based on merit rather than relationship. So, no hard feelings in case it doesn't work out." Engin smiled and she nodded.

"Nazli is going to kill me if Pelin gets the contract." He admitted to Engin once they were in his cabin.

"Ah the mighty Ferit Aslan afraid of his girlfriend!!" Engin broke into laughter.

"Keep laughing I'll tell her that it was you, who hired her, and you owe me for keeping your secret." He thought of a way to escape her anger.

"Great and face the wrath of Nazli and Fatos as well for upsetting Nazli. I just hope we find a better design than Pelin's." Engin prayed.

They went into the meeting pulling in Demir as well to back them. He was surprised to see his mum joining them as well. She usually stayed away from any work discussions and attended only board meetings.

The presentations went well and the top 2 were Pelins' and another company. They had to compare the two in private and decide the best. As they inclined towards the second one, his mother listed the merits of Pelin's firm and tried to change the decision. They had to vote, and it went to the other firm.

Once everyone left the room, he cornered his mother.

"Why are you here?" He asked her directly.

"It's my firm too. I don't think I need to take your permission." She looked at him in anger.

"You don't need my permission to make decisions in office, but you do need it when it comes to my life. I'm not going to entertain any interference in my personal life." He walked away. His relationship with his mother became irreparable when she offered them no solace after their dad died.

Anger consumed him, and he needed to cool down. He wanted to see her, but Ms. Iqbal came to him with a few important documents that he needed to check.

When he got free, he went to the restaurant to see her. The restaurant seemed rather busy as it was lunch time. He spotted her at a table and walked in that direction. As he neared, he saw his mother seated with Pelin.

"It's only a matter of time before Ferit realises that you'd never fit in his world. You'll be his weakness rather than strength." He heard his mum say.

"She doesn't need to fit anything. She has carved out a perfect path on her own and I'm sure she'll continue to do so. I don't mind her being my weakness as it can only make me a better person." He reached out to Nazli and put his arm across her staring into her eyes. She smiled in response and left for the kitchen.

"Nazli is the only one I'll marry, and you better get used to the idea. Whatever you're trying to do, please stop it." He gave an ultimatum to his mother and walked away into the garden to calm himself.

"What did I do? I only wanted to warn her about the consequences. She wouldn't be able to manage her career and support you as a wife." His mum followed him and tried to act innocent.

"As if you managed to handle it well. You still don't get it do you. Dad used to call us whenever he could and tell us that you both love us. When dad died, if only you assured us just once that it'll be alright, and we still had you." He blurted out. His mum's ignorance towards their feelings hurt them but they got used to it over the years. He went back to his office as he needed to leave from there.

He held his head in his hands and wondered what he did. She was his mother and it hurt him to treat her that way. He was disappointed with her behaviour but could never hate her.