Chapter 25: Final Day

It was for her soldiers. It was for the people she called friends. For the people she was bound to. For the people she cared for. For the one she loved.

It was for them that she fought. It was for them she survived.

And it's for them I will.

It's for them I will succeed.

The tears shining on my face are war paint. The tears I shed for my friend and mentor would serve as marks. And my enemies will remember them as the last pain they would cause any creature.

This battle has taken too many. This will be the end.

I will make sure of it.

"....(Name)." A voice called out weakly. I turned.

"Link?"

Link's body lay amongst a heap of monsters. A ragged and relieved breath shuddered through his lungs. He began to smile even while his shattered leg and scaled arm screamed at him.

"I-I..." He tried to find some words to say. He wanted to apologize, to check on her, to tell her that he loved her, to scold her for running away. But he couldn't manage a sentence.

She approached and began to lift the monster corpses off of him.

"I know. I'm sorry." She said in a sickly sweet voice. It was a simple answer. Yet, it told him that she understood and was answering all of his questions at once.

Link grunted as a weight was removed from his legs. His shin had been shattered by the blast of the fire arrow. His forearm was blistered and marred. Part of the flesh had been torn away as it had melted to his shield.

"Let me heal you." She whispered quietly. As she kneeled beside him, she gently placed her hands on each of his wounds. She took a deep breath and summoned the same magic that had just been used to try to reanimate her friend. (Name) choked down a sob and concentrated.

Suddenly, Link's leg healed with a crack and his flesh had stitched back together. It had been faster than she had ever healed anyone before. Yet, she felt no fatigue. She had barely tapped into the surging power housed with in her. Her limits were expanded.

Link tentatively rose to his feet and lightly put pressure on his leg. When he felt no pain, he fully stepped onto the appendage.

(Name) had turned away from him when he went to thank her. She rushed off, eyes pinned to teal hair scattered on a rock.

"Luminite!"

The call of her name stirred her from her unconscious state. An overwhelmingly familiar presence rushed towards her, but who she saw approaching was not what she had expected. (Name) was bounding toward her. Her cheeks shimmering as battle roared behind her. She felt different. Her aura was different. She was different.

"(Name)?" She mumbled. "I cannot believe it." Her strength returned as (Name) approached, and Luminite had no doubt in her mind of the change within this girl.

(Name) rushed to her side and offered her shoulder to lean against as she stepped over the rubble. Luminite couldn't ignore the nostalgic comfort run through as Aine's magic reignited sparks in her. Her own magic surged in return and left her feeling restored and anew. Though it was different somehow. The calming cool of Aine's magic was intertwined with a small zing and burst of energy. It was magic being born in a young goddess. Luminite stopped (Name) and grabbed her shoulders. (Name) turned her head.

Luminite studied her face. None of her features had changed. Though, her eyes were just the slightest bit brighter and glimmered in the sun.

"What is it?" She questioned, unnerved by her stare.