Chapter 22: The Trickster Revealed

Soldier's pained cries were echoing through out the camp. It was the only discernable sound above the howling of the wind. A thick, hazy mist had settled across the field. Bodies and limbs peaked through the swirling blanket. It gave the queen a shiver.

"Here, your majesty." Terr solemnly handed her a blanket. Zelda didn't know whether she interpreted her visible shiver as a result of the chilly night air or one of fear and disgust. Her grim expression suggested the latter, as she gazed out across the maimed field.

Soldiers and knights huddled around he various bonfires established in their camp, craving the warmth it brought them. The only sense of comfort they could muster in this dark moment. They sat dejected, poking at their food or sipping alcohol from a tin cup. A few stared blankly into the fire as they mentally relived the horrifying moments of the day.

The cold wind blew again and Zelda pulled the blanket tighter around her shoulders. She felt incredibly disheartened. She felt as though she was a coward and a fool. She led her people into this slaughter. Yet, she did not even have the strength to try and collect the dead from the battlefield. In previous nights, they had collected bodies. However, now it seemed like a disheartening task. It would only put images of the bodies that would occupy the field tomorrow into the minds of her soldiers. They had lost so many in only a week.

"How are we to succeed?" She muttered.

A tin plate containing scraps of meet and mashed potatoes interrupted her field of view. She looked up the arm to who offered. Link looked just as grim as she did, albeit a little more distressed. She took the plate with a small smile.

"I confess, I do not know what to do..." Link looked over, helplessly. Zelda empathized with him. She could see his turmoil evident in his features.

"We will save her, Link. I promise you that." Zelda gently squeezed Link's arm, hoping to somehow ease his pain.

"That would be reassuring if saving her was the only concern on my mind." Link's gaze traveled to the deities huddled together a distance away.

Their conversation was hushed. Clearly, they were discussing the day's events and how to move forward. Zelda felt as though she and Link should be involved, but she got the sense that this battle was more than defending Hyrule. Zelda glanced at Link. His face was twisted into a barely noticeable sneer.

"Why? Do you believe they are plotting something else?" Zelda inquired. Link's features softened.

"No..." He suddenly returned to his melancholy demeanor, as if he reminded himself of something. "It's a jovial concern that has no place right now. But I just can't shake it."

"Please...share with me Link. I do not wish to see you so upset."

Link took a deep breath, staring intently into the fire.

"All of Hyrule knows how I feel about (Name). She is beautiful and charming. I was drawn to her from our first meeting. I-I thought I loved her."

"Thought?" Zelda questioned. "Do you not believe so anymore?"

"She does not hold the same affection. I can tell. Her heart clearly belongs to that deity. And it's devastating to know. Yet, I still would do anything for her. I didn't understand why." Link clenched his fist, suddenly fueled by a rage. However, it quickly subsided and he dropped his hand.

"But I began thinking. It makes sense that I am drawn to her. The story she told us. You know, the reason we are fighting that demon. It- it is clear why I am attracted to her and I hate it. I want to love her because of who she is. And I want her to love me because of who I am. Not because of who she was or who I was in a previous life. Besides, I do not know anything of her. That deity knows her better than I do. He cares for her beyond what he should, but he cares truly. I want her to be happy. Even if it is not me who makes her happy."