Chapter 21: Fight for her Life

"Archers, take your posts!" Link bellowed as soldiers uniformly positioned themselves along the walk. 

The remaining foot soldiers and infantry fell into organized units in front of the castle. Link sat sternly on Epona gently adjusting his armor, observing his men and the opposing force assembling. Unlike the rest of the soldiers, he opted to have his head free so nothing obstructed his vision. Though he was well aware that his head was a weakness now. He needed to be able to see everything happening before him.

"Pikes behind, foot soldiers front!" He ordered. The initiation of the battle would begin shortly. Though Link doubted that the monsters would respect the rules of war. 

Zelda tightened the gauntlets on her arm. Her horse shifted it's weight nervously. 

"My queen, I wish you would reconsider." Impa pleaded for Zedla to allow her to accompany her as she rode out to meet the commander of the enemy. 

"Impa, tradition states that I must ride out alone. We must show that we are in good virtue and that we will not be deterred by his forces." Zelda stayed firm in her belief. "Besides, if anything goes astray, I am quite capable in handling myself." 

"I know. I am the one who trained you." Impa reluctantly let the reigns of Zelda's steed go.

"Queen Zelda, it is not my place to question your decision, but one of us should go with you. These monsters are unpredictable." Terr gentle hovered by the Queen, attempting to persuade her as well. Zelda pondered for a moment; with their presence she could more successfully demand information on (Name). 

"Fine...We need information on (Name), and I may not able inquire on that information myself." 

"I will go with you." Oni spoke approaching the group. 

"Why? Majora bested you and you are still injured." Terr's words were true. His side still throbbed dully. Oni scowled, he had to be the one to confront Majora. He had too. Events that happened thousands of years ago needed to be put to a rest. 

"Majora and I have clashed many times. He took (Name) from me. It is my duty to ensure her safety. Would you argue with Aine's guardianship?" Oni glared at Terr. He continued without giving her time to respond. "I will accompany you." 

Zelda nodded, seeing this as an issue that stemmed from personal slights. She knew Oni had to right some wrongs. 

As the two trotted out to join the ranks before the castle walls, the demon Majora had emerged from the ranks of his army. Zelda shuttered at the sight of such a monster. His deformed appearance shocked her. Those horns and hooves and face made her grimace and shrink in fear. Suddenly, all of her confidence left her body. She was thankful that one of the deities had went with her. 

As they inched closer, she could hear the disgusting snarls and growls of the enemy's army. They seemed to be laughing. This battle was fun for them. They were born, created to fight and kill. The thought sickened her. There would be no remorse or regret like other armies. Just unhinged, sickened enjoyment. 

"I am glad that the Queen of Hyrule respects the rules of war and wishes to fight honorably. Though, traditionally one approaches...alone."  He was looking at Oni, who glared back in response. 

"I would hope that such a learned opponent would fight honorably." Despite her fear, she was still able to speak with cunning. 

"Flattery...Ah, you surely are Hylia's reincarnate. You have her golden tongue."  The way Majora looked at her drove shivers down her spine. "But this is not the time for flattery, is it?"