Chapter 18: Allies

"Again..." I huffed. "Fight me, again."

My body screeched as I stood. I had spent the past week and a half since her death practicing, dueling, training. I had to. I had to be able to protect the people I cared about. I let too many down already.

The hot air burned as I inhaled and drips of sweat flowed down my face. My chest rose and fell as I took heavy breaths. I was not strong enough.

My opponent charged. I grunted as the large hammer collided with my magic. It took more effort then it should have to push them off. They swung at me. I jumped in the air. From my temporary vantage point, I threw balls of energy. I had used this method on my opponent before and they were ready, easily weaving through. Not accurate enough. I growled when I landed, frustrated. Nothing was working. My breath was hard to catch. I hated this heat.

A swing narrowly missed my face. I hadn't been paying close enough attention. I dissipated from my opponents sight, and reformed behind them. I gathered my energy and created a small blast.

I missed. The wall far behind my opponent held a large burn.

I was breathing hard. My opponent looked at the wall, then at me.

"Are you sure you want to keep sparing, lil' sister? You look really tired."

I shook my head. I was fine. I had to be fine.

"I have to keep going."

My goron opponent shrugged, lifting his hammer once again. I steadied myself, preparing a shield. My arms wobbled as I struggled to hold my stance. The shield cracked, slowly chipping against the force. I focused more in attempt to hold it together, but it shattered. I found myself inches from a iron battle hammer.

"That is enough." Oni's stern voice interjected.

"But I-I need to practice. I need-"

"I said that is enough." He had risen from his seat and walked over to us. I looked to the ground, attempting to catch my breath. I had been finding it harder and harder to do so. The goron had left, returning to his brethren who were enthralled by the conversation between their leader and Zelda. I watched him walk away in hope that he would return to continue our match or, at least, not leave me alone with the approaching deity.

"You are overexerting yourself." Oni grabbed my attention, noticing I had glanced away. "Aine's magic is not that of an offensive nature. You must not use it so."

"I know! I know." I pushed away, crossing my arms.

Oni felt a small pang in his chest. He could sympathize with her. She simply was looking to protect. If only, Luminite or even that cretin Terr, had been assigned to watch over her during these negotiations. They might have more luck convincing her to rest herself. She did not want to be around him, and the disgust on her face when he was asked to join was evidence enough that she was not excited for his company. It was for her protection that he agreed. It hurt him that she refused him so much so. He knew he was not deserving of any sort of her kindness, but that did not mean he didn't miss it. He wanted her to smile again. He wanted her to smile for him again. 

She continued to pout, kicking at the dirt. Perhaps, if he tried a gentler approach. In the past, she was more receptive to him when he was gentle. He tried a calmer voice.

"(Name)...Your magic feeds from your own energy. You have endlessly preformed magical feats without rest. It will take a toll on your physical being. You are not used to it-"

"So you're saying I'm weak!" She shouted at him. No. That was not the reaction he wanted. That was not what he intended. She glared and stomped away. He watched her march into her tent, frustration and anger building.