Chapter 11: Something More

To treat ya'll, I thought I'd write a chapter in Oni's "perspective". He's on a search to find you and some hidden truths surface. Plus some backstory on him. The backstory is a little hidden, but see if you can make the connections. Hope you enjoy!

Luminite returned from another venture into the Caverns of the mountain due northeast of the palace. That was the location where Oni and (Name) entered the city. Why would a demon travel to the city in a direct root? Searching there was illogical and a waist of time. But Oni would spare no expense. No stone, quite literally, would not be left unturned until they found her. It was almost futile now. The royal scientists analysed the poison in (Name's) food. Venom from the Kalakuta snake is fatal, especially for mortals. The thought in the back of everyone's mind was the very high possibility that she was dead. No mortal or deity could survive the amount of venom present in her food.

As she entered the palace, she dismissed her entourage of scouts who had been assigned to her. There was no reason they needed to be punished for the lack of progress made on this expedition. Oni's very short temper as of late was the annoyance and fear of everyone in the palace. What a pity to the servants who were assigned to aid him.

Gods and goddesses hustled about, working on their assignments. (Name) being missing was not the top priority, much to the displeasure of Oni. A demon managed to sneak into the city undetected. That was much more worrying. Luminite passed by huge double doors, where Hylia and her council discussed the breech in the palace. She could hear the arguments from the hallway. Guards were stationed at every corner of the castle. Their multitudes depleting the military numbers. Soldiers became stationary lookouts for a designated sect of the palace. It was pitiful. They should be preparing for a possible battle. Not standing like stone all day. However, it was not her place to speak her mind on this topic. She nodded to each one as she passed. A security check to let them know she was really her. She walked down to the room where Oni had holed himself up in as of late. Just as she reached for the door, it burst open. A servant rushed out tripping over her feet and panicking, likely fleeing for her life. Luminite shook her head and walked in. Oni was hunched over a desk with a map of the surrounding land splayed out in front of him.

"Anything?" He spoke roughly, voice dark with anguish.

"Nothing in the caverns. No trace of any demon, monster, or...(Name)." Oni cursed. He stood up and walked around the desk. With a burst of anger he swiped at stack of books. They flew to the ground, creating a loud thud when they collided. Even with this outburst, Oni's anger was not sated. He slammed his fist against the desk.

"How can there be nothing? There has to be something! That was the only place we had not yet checked!" Luminite placed a hand on his shoulder, an attempt to calm him. It failed. He shook her off and paced around the room. A detailed and incredibly large map was mounted on the wall, red X's and other various markings littered the parchment. Luminite took the liberty of adding another X over the Caverns. Adding to the long list of places where no hint or sign of (Name) existed. Oni frowned at the map, moving closer to inspect the few locations not marked by a red, ominous X.

"Are you sure there was nothing?" Oni spoke again. Luminite sighed.

"Yes. There was nothing. We searched the entire cavern system. No sign of anything recently passing through." Luminite spoke carefully, any wrong tone or misspoken syllable would put the deity standing next to her in a fit of rage. But, being honest, she was close to a fit of rage as well. Being sent on all these pointless was useless, not to mention very irritating. Then coming back to listen to Oni's ungrateful ranting of how terrible a job they were doing.

"Maybe you simply did not look hard enough." Luminite growled. She had to speak her mind, even if it meant a fight would begin. She, simply, could not bite her tongue and keep hearing her friend insult her when there was not any positive results.