Chapter 5: Trial 1

Explanation of the previous chapter: basically you were teleported to the castle because they found the shattered bits of the mask. All evidence pointed to you.  

YOUR POV

I whimpered. They know. I gave it all away. I was going to be locked up for ever, maybe even killed. Impa probably ordered the guards to come and get me. They would be here soon. Oni's heavy hand gently shook me. 

"We have to go. Now." I nodded numbly, stood, wiped my eyes, and went to get my things. 

We left on Hocus. I sat on his back, what little belongings I grabbed, while Oni lead the horse. I didn't want to think. I stared ahead at the dark forest with a blank face, as stoic as the Deity leading. Once we were far enough away from the entrance of the woods, Oni turned. 

"What did they say?" I wasn't even shocked at the fact that he knew what happened without me telling him. I was just tired

"They know." That was all I whispered. Oni's expression turned dark, he looked up at the sky. In the crystal sheer that covered his white eyes, I saw a puffy outline. 

"They found it." I turned around. A pillar of smoke rose were the trees broke. We were a good distance away so the pillar seemed small, like a campfire, but I knew what it was. My numbness broke. I cried out, for my home, for my belongings, for my life, for my memories, for my family, for my friends. I cried for everything. I cried with a silent scream, my mouth frozen wide open. Hot tears running down my face fell onto the saddle. I could see all my family paintings melting in the flames, our faces disfigured by the hell of my consequences. I could see my mother's dress rising to the sky in black and orange fragments. I could see every fiber of wood burning into charcoal, all the wood I cut down to make my home. I could see the townspeople gather 'round to watch a friend-turned-traitor's life go up in flames with all but happy grins on their faces. I could see Sokra, my best friend, clinging to her mother with tear stained face as she watched the flames eat away at shared memories. I could see Zelda watch the grey tower with a soldier's face and a child's eyes. I could see Impa's grimace of sorrow as a soldier's voice echoed: "It has been done." I could see Link on top of his auburn steed with regretful eyes as more fire roared. I could see myself standing there, her hair black with smoke, her dress stained with blood, her face a guise.  I couldn't look anymore, not at the smoke, not at Hocus, not at myself. I was just reminded of my old life, and how messed up my world had suddenly become. But for some reason, I didn't hate Hocus, or Zelda, or Link, or Oni. I only hated myself. I blamed myself for everything. I hated me. I hated her so much that I wanted to shed her skin and burn it, leave her to die with my old life. I didn't want to be her anymore. So  my eyes danced around, looking for something that would focus my attention on anything but the rising guilt or deflated memories, and I found Oni. Some form of appreciation for what he was doing bloomed in me, he was saving me. Whether I came to that conclusion through loss or gain was as allusive as the mystery of the deity himself. Now all I could do was let Oni lead me into the unknown and ride willingly.

We rode for the rest of the day in silence, neither Oni nor I had anything to say. We didn't want to speak. I have nothing, nothing except for Hocus and Oni. I chuckled quietly at my own sorrow and stroked Hocus' neck. 

"We're here." Oni interrupted. I looked up to see a river, but the land that was supposed to be on the other side wasn't there. Instead there was fog. Oni began walking again, leading Hocus into the river. It wasn't deep. I water came up to the top of Hocus' legs, and up to Oni's waste. Apprehension pooled in the pit of my stomach.