Fight to the Death

A/N Written by @Beguile.

                                ×××
The detonator is broken, and one of them has to stay behind. Obviously, this results in an argument. And Matt getting punched in the face.
                               ×××

The second it's apparent that the detonator is broken, Jessica punches Murdock across the face, knocking him out cold. He hits the deck and she plants a foot on him to keep him there.

"What the hell was that for?" Danny asks.

"One of us has to stay behind, right? And it sure as hell isn't gonna be Murdock. He already sacrificed himself to a collapsing building once."

"You want this one?" Luke says.

Jessica shrugs. "If I have to."

"No," Danny interjects, "The Hand are my responsibility. I'll stay. Take Murdock and get out of here."

Luke glares at him. "You don't really expect us to leave you here to be crushed, do you?"

Danny's hand glows in the dark. "I'm not giving you a choice."

"Put that away, Danny," Luke says. "I'm the logical choice for this, you guys know that. Won't be the first time I've had a building demolished on me, and it won't be the last."

"You could be trapped under this for days."

"Guess it's a good thing I'll have Jessica Jones digging for me."

Jessica tears her eyes away from that smirk of his, blood rushing into her cheeks and the tips of her ears. "I can dig myself out just as easily from under the rubble."

"If you survive," Danny says. "Next to Matt, you're the most breakable."

"Say that again to me, asshole –"

"Enough," Luke says. "Jessica, Danny: take Matt and go."

"I'm not leaving you here." Danny folds his arms across his chest, the tail of his tattoo visible at the unzipped collar of his hoodie. "This is my duty, my purpose."

"You want to join buddy on the floor?" Jessica asks.

"She can carry you both out," Luke adds, "one over each shoulder."

"Sounds like something you can do too."

"Super strength's good for carrying people out. Super skin is good for buildings that collapse." Luke holds out his hands, shrugging. "Can't help it that I'm overqualified."
Danny jumps into the ring: "You were not tasked with the sacred power of the Iron Fist –"

Jessica follows him: "I could toss all three out of you out of here with my bare hands."

"So why don't you?" Luke asks.

"Because it's not her responsibility! It's not your responsibility either, Luke!"

A groan brings their bickering to a halt. Murdock rouses, brushing his head against the ground to clear it. He spits a mouthful of blood onto the grimy floor. He turns his head to face them, mouth open with an argument, but then, "Someone's coming."