We're Going to be Okay

A/N Written by @inkinmyheartandonthepage. Plot minorly changed.

Peter should have expected it.

Just because half the world ended and then came back didn't mean that the bad guys stopped coming. Peter had stopped his fair share of bad guys when he had started up his patrolling again. So, it wasn't a complete shock when the alert went out and the Guardians of the Galaxy were crash landing to Earth with a hoard of aliens on their ass.

"Whoa, dude you have something in your teeth," Peter quipped as the alien roared in his face and Peter quickly sent it flying it a rapid web fire, stringing him to the ground where the talking tree ("I am Groot". "Dude, that is so awesome.") quickly stabbed it with his extended arm.

"Nice shot!" Peter whooped and as he swung by Groot he stuck his hand out for a high five which Groot happily gave back.

"I am Groot!"

"Peter," Tony's voice came over his com and Peter looked up to see Ironman flying over head as he swung down the street. "There are some civilians still inside over there. Round them up?"

"Yeah! I'm on it! Come on Groot."

"I am Groot."

"Dude their aliens down there," Peter said. "Race you."

"I am Groot."

"Uh – should we be worried that the kid understands the tree?" Rhodey asked as he whizzed past them.

"Kids these days," Tony sighed sarcastically. "They have their own language."

"The language is quite easy to master," Thor added as he brought down several aliens with his new axe.

Peter ignored the running commentary as he swung down the street, grinning under his mask as he saw Groot running after him, taking out several aliens as he did. Peter bet him, fighting off the aliens and quickly started securing the civilians that were trapped in the building.

"Tony! On your left."

"I got –"

Suddenly Tony's com went out.

Peter stomach dropped and he pressed his hand to his ear.

"Tony?"

"Holy Shit!" Scott said.

"Has anyone got eyes on Tony?" Steve demanded.

"I've got him," Clint said. "Nat, we need a medic."

"On my way," Natasha said.

"I am Groot?"

"Dad?!" Peter cried but there was no response from Tony.

Abandoning the civilians with Groot, Peter took off to the last place he had seen his dad flying overhead. He heard the whizz of Clint's arrows flying through the air and quickly changed his course.

His heart skittered in his chest as he saw Tony lying on the ground, not moving. Clint stood protectively nearby, picking off any alien that dared get close.