Spidey Sense

A/N Written by @inkinmyheartandonthepage. Plot minorly changed.

Peter thought he was doing well.

It had been a few months since That Day and Peter was slowly slipping back into his usual routine and feeling like a teenager once more. For hours at a time he was forgetting that he had felt every atom of his body slowly fading into ash, looking into the eyes of his dad who, terrifyingly, couldn't do anything about it.

When his Spider Senses prickled his skin, Peter got the distinct feeling that someone was watching him and his heightened senses were telling him to run, danger, flee.

"What's up are dork?" MJ asked. "Meatloaf not meatloaf?"

Peter blinked, blanking on the fact that he in the middle of the cafeteria eating his lunch. His gaze flicked to fork raised mid-air on the way to his mouth and back to MJ who was staring at him with one eyebrow raised.

"Uh-" Peter stuttered stupidly.

"You're weird," MJ said matter-of-factly.

"I know," Peter sighed. He dropped his food back onto the plate and surveyed the cafeteria for the threat that was currently making his senses go haywire. He couldn't see anything out of the ordinary and it unnerved him that there was a threat he couldn't see. Was the whole school in danger? Should he change into his suit? He nudged his backpack with his foot.

"Where's Ned?"

Was Ned in danger?

"Uh- he's talking to Miss Hunter about our history project," Peter said.

No, Ned wasn't in danger. Miss Hunter, despite her enthusiasm for gruesome history murders, was not one to attack a student, especially someone as sweet as Ned. What the hell was setting off his senses?

"Are you and Ned dating?"

"No. Why?" Peter asked.

MJ shrugged. "You're glaring at everybody. I figured maybe Flash had said something to scare Ned off being seen with you in public."

"Oh," Peter said. He wondered if MJ was being supportive and was touched that she was thinking of the two. "No. Ned would be cool with it. But we aren't. Dating that is….at least, I don't think we are?" Peter cocked his head.

"Ned would deserve better," MJ said.

"Totally," Peter agreed. "I'd be terrible for Ned." He cocked his head at MJ. "Hey, you- uh- aren't having homicidal thoughts are the moment, are you?"

"Not right now," MJ shrugged. "Are you?"

"No."

MJ nodded. "Cool. Ask me later. I'm reading up on New York slavery ahead of our decathlon comp."

"Cool. Let me know what you find."

"Hey, does MJ know you're Spiderman?" Ned asked as they descended the stairs of the school at the end of the day.

"No! I mean, I don't think she does. Why? Did she say something?" Peter panicked.

"No. She just told me that you were trying hard but were socially inept when it came to relationships."