In the Corner of Laser Tag

A/N Written by @Iloveyou_3000.

If Peter had to pinpoint the exact moment when things took a turn out of the ordinary, he’d say it would be the morning of the ‘Academic Decathlon Ultimate Laser Tag Battle’.

It was MJ’s idea to do laser tag. She brought it up about a week ago, cornering Peter after an intense decathlon training session, giving him the time and place with no choice in the matter. She also somehow convinced Mr Stark to rent out an entire laser tag arena for three whole hours just for the decathlon team.

Oh, she also invited Harley to come. Harley. Harley. The boy Peter has been crushing on like crazy for the past two months. A crush that he was stupid enough to tell MJ about the last time she, Ned and him hung out.

She also had it in her head that Harley liked Peter back.

Which was absurd. Peter wasn’t likeable. Well, he knew he was likeable, just not like- likeable. And even if he was, Harley is definitely not into him. Harley was gorgeous, super smart, he was kind, hot, tall, quick-witted, well versed in vine culture, cute, had that delectable Tennessee accent, and did he mention he was good looking?

And Peter was just, well, Peter. Plain, dull, boring old Peter. If you don’t count moonlighting as Queen’s very own vigilante Spiderman, that is.

Not to mention Harley always seemed to treat him differently than the others, looking at him longer than he did Ned and MJ, always commenting on what he was wearing. If Peter didn’t know any better, he’d say Harley was flirting with him. But he does. So he knows he’s not.

So, come the morning of said ultimate laser tag battle, Peter was a little more nervous than usual. MJ had been a lot cockier that morning, though she told him it was because she knew she was about to destroy him at laser tag, spider-powers be damned.

Harley was also a lot more reserved than usual, scarcely acknowledging him as he walked out into the common room after spending the night at the tower, face glued to his plate of toast.

School went by quickly, and soon they were all piling into the lobby of the laser tag arena.

“Listen up losers,” MJ’s voice boomed above them, aided by her standing on a plastic chair. “We’ve got this place for three hours, so we’re gonna be doing three different games, each with three rounds plus breaks.”

Taking out a crumpled sheet of paper from her back pocket, MJ managed to sound both extremely invested and entirely reserved while reading out the team names for the first round.

“First and second games are just for fun.” She paused as a few people let out half-hearted boos at the low-stakes of the games. “And the final game will be a team winner takes all. And by all, I mean five bucks from each of the losing players. Per person.” They all cheered at the promise of a cash prize.

They spent the next ten minutes sorting out gear, rules and teams; then they were finally released into the arena.

Ned ditched Peter almost immediately, giving him some excuse of a ‘prior alliance’ as he ran off. He was nearly coming to terms with doing it out in the dark, narrow room when a voice whispered right about his ear.

“Wanna watch my back, Parker?”

“ SHIT - Harley?!” Where’s my spider-sense when I need it, and crap Harley is close...