Father Figures

A/N Written by @inkinmyheartandonthepage. Plot minorly changed.

"Your father is quite talented considering the resources he is available to," Shuri commented while the two of them sat on the steps in the throne room, listening and watching as the Avengers discussed the gritty details of the events that had just passed.

"I am Groot."

"My dad?" Peter frowned.

"Mr. Stark," Shuri nodded at the man who was seated between Bruce and Strange. "He is your father, no?"

"What? No!" Peter shook his head, cheeks heating up. "He's my mentor?"

"I am Groot."

"Why would you think that?" Peter frowned at his new friends.

"I am Groot," Groot snickered.

"Tree is right," Shuri laughed. "and you called him dad in the lab yesterday."

Peter opened his mouth to retort but the words died on his tongue. He hadn't remembered calling Tony dad but maybe it had slipped out. His cheeks burned brighter.

Groot and Shuri laughed at his expression, holding their stomachs as they bent at the waist.

"What's so funny over there?" Clint asked from where the Avengers were seated in a circle.

"Nothing!" Peter squeaked.

"You sure?" Natasha smirked from where she was seated next to Clint.

"Yes," Peter said looking anywhere but Tony. He wished Doctor Strange would open a portal he could fling himself through and get far away from here.

"I am Groot," he whispered to Peter who turned and glared at him.

"Sister?" T'Challa raised an eyebrow.

"Nothing Brother," Shuri said innocently. "Are you nearly finished with these talks? I would like to return to my lab."

"We have much to discuss," T'Challa said. "However, if you need a break you may leave."

"I am Groot."

Shuri nodded thoughtfully. "Yes, I believe I can replicate that game. Come."

The three stood and headed to the door.

"You're just going to the lab, right kid?" Tony spoke up, making them freeze.

Peter caught Shuri's eyes and she waggled her eyebrows at him and mouthed the word kid.

"Yeah, just the lab," Peter promised. "Bye!"

He grabbed his two friends by the arm and dragged them out of the room. When they were safely out of the room and at the far end of the hall, Peter released his friends and slouched his shoulders.

"Why so down, Peter?" Shuri bumped his shoulder as they walked. "Do you not approve of Mr. Stark being your father?"

"What? No, Mr. Stark is awesome. He's been so good to me," Peter shook his head.