The Flash Effect

A/N Written by @inkinmyheartandonthepage. Plot minorly changed.

"Alright losers," MJ said. "Decathlon tomorrow. Don't be lame and miss the bus."

The team started packing up their stuff, ready to bail and head home after spending hours in the library.

"Hey, do you think Mr Stark will come tomorrow?" Ned asked Peter as they swung their bags onto their shoulders.

"Why would Mr. Stark come to Penis Parker's decathlon event," Flash snorted. "You're an intern. Probably not even a good one at that."

"Flash, everyone saw Tony save Peter when he fell from the rope in gym class," Ned countered.

Peter's cheeks flushed red. "Ned, not the best example to use." He fought the chill that threatened to roll down his spine as he remembered why he had fallen from the rope. It had been a just over a month since he had a panic attack and he wasn't looking forward to another one.

Flash waved Ned off. "Mr Stark didn't want Penis Parker leaving his stuff around Stark Industries. Parker probably faked falling off the rope when he saw Stark to save himself."

"What! No, I didn't," Peter protested.

"Face it, you're nothing to Mr. Stark," Flash smirked. He purposely knocked Peter shoulder as he left, leaving Ned and Peter alone in the library.

"Don't listen to him, Peter," Ned said. "He doesn't know what he's talking about."

"Come on," Peter said. "We have to get to the toy store before the line gets too big."

"Hey, Peter," Pepper smiled warmly as she watched the teenager trudge into the living room of Tony's house.

"How did your last practice go?"

"It was good," Peter shrugged, looking past Pepper to the kitchen sheepishly. "Is there any food?"

"Snacks are already prepared," Pepper chuckled.

"You're awesome," Peter beamed and raced past Pepper, immediately heading to the biscuits.

"Oh, you hear that, Tony. I'm awesome," Pepper smirked as Tony entered the room.

"Kid's delusional," Tony quipped back, giving her a quick kiss on the lips. "Doesn't know what he's talking about."

"Yeah I do," Peter said around a mouthful of biscuit.

Tony wrinkled his nose and rolled his eyes. "How was school?"

Peter shrugged one shoulder. "It was fine."

"Ready for your big event?" Tony asked, wondering into the kitchen with Pepper.

Again, Peter shrugged. Unfortunately, he couldn't stop thinking about what Flash had said. Despite calling Tony dad he wasn't really Tony's kid. It wasn't the first time that Peter had felt a little insecure about their relationship. If Peter hadn't disobeyed Tony and boarded that flying donut, then he would never have faded (painfully and horrifically) into ash and they would never be where they were now. Did Tony only continue to help him because he was Spiderman?