15

It was the next day, early in the morning. The entire house was covered with a lone energy, one that spoke only of fear. It made the hair on the back of your neck stand up, your stomach twist, and your head swivel back around again and again, as if you were being followed.

Adany's arms wrapped around himself. He wasn't usually one for fear, but something was definitely off. The room he was going to could help him with this. It was that room's purpose.

He pushed the door open, taking in a deep breath. The room smelt strongly of lavender, chamomile, and frankincense- something he usually hated, but needed to tolerate at the moment. The room was more humid than outside, water running down a small 'fall' that was attached to the wall.

Glancing over, he noticed he wasn't alone.

"Niitsitapi?"

Koko looked up at him, standing up. He looked just as bad as him, maybe a little worse for wear.

"Tsalagi," Koko replied. He seemed shocked, something he usually didn't allow to show on his face. He took a few steps forward, before his brother met him in the middle.

He didn't know what happened the moment before they were hugging, but he did know what happened after. Koko held on tight- not with his usual strength, but still enough to make him breathless. He hoped he could show the same power.

They stayed there for a long time. Even if they weren't the closest most days, even if they hardly interacted, they were still family. And they were here! And they were safe!

"Jolon and Ziracuny are here," he said, pulling away. Adany tilted his head at him. He didn't know why it took him a second to remember who they were. They were his damn siblings.

"Coahoma and Maikoh," Adany replied, "also we got Warrock."

"Useful," Koko mumbled, scrunching up his nose. He never liked the idea of having wendigos anywhere near him, but yet here they were.

They stood in silence for a few seconds, before Koko pulled his hands back from where they rested on his brother's shoulders, clasping them together in front of himself.

Adany stared at him blankly, before tightly shutting his eyes and looking back at the door. He felt calmer now, but the calmness felt like stupidity the longer it lasted. Koko seemed to sense it too, crossing his arms around himself.

"Something bad is happening."

"Now," Adany said. They had a taste for things like this. After all the things that happened to them it had seemed like a useless skill, since they were in the end powerless at the hands of their brothers imperialism- or rather, the hands of his government.

"Come on," Koko said, pushing past him. Adany was frozen in place, until he heard the door squeak and followed behind his brother.

They walked through the garage to the dragon stables. The entire area was devoid of life, until he noticed Koko's dragon. The creature obviously heard them, and it didn't take much for him to notice her white eyes as he passed.

"I'm sorry," he whispered to the animal, brushing her nose with his hand as he passed. Her head followed him until he started jogging to catch up with Koko, who was looking back at her with pity.

From here you could see in the entire valley, from one side to the other. Koko sat down at the end of the ramp, his legs swinging over the edge. Adany looked at him with scorn for a moment, sitting down a foot away from the edge.

It was a high drop from where they were to the ground- or maybe they'd hit the mansion roof and then the ground, which probably wouldn't be much better. Adany wasn't one to risk heights. One too many stumbles.