Chapter Twenty-Four - The Truth

I sigh rolling over to my side to avoid the sun that is shining in my eyes. I can't believe it is morning already, yesterday was so long of a day I hope my little kitten is doing well. My eyes shoot open, where is she? I start looking around the room and see nothing. Then I notice the bedroom door open and rush to see if she got out into the living room.

I breathe a sigh of relief when I see Jack and the kitten playing on the couch.

Jack looks up at me, "Well look who decided to get up." I roll my eyes and sit down at the counter to wake up fully. I rub my face in my hands as I can feel my heartbeat starting to go up. Shit Jack and I were supposed to talk last night and I passed out with a kitten I brought into his home without telling him.

I slowly move my hands from my face to look at Jack again, who is looking right at me laughing, "There it is!" He says with a smirk as he knows I just remembered everything by the very embarrassing blush on my cheeks.

"I know I forced you to move in but I wasn't expecting you to find us a third roommate this quickly." The tan kitten reaches out and latches its claws into Jack's thick hoodie holding on with all its strength. He looks down with slight amusement, moving his arm into the arm with the kitten still holding on. "I shouldn't be surprised by this at all. What did you name her?" He asks turning to me.

Relaxing that he isn't bringing up the elephant in the room... Me asking to join his criminal empire. I walk over and sit on the opposite side of the couch with the kitten in between us. Placing the blanket from the back of the couch onto my lap.

"I was thinking Rainbow," I smile as Jack raises an eyebrow at my name for the tan-striped kitten looking between me and the cat slowly. Laughing I start to explain, "It was such a cloudy day, and she turned out to be something beautiful in it."

Jack started to smile but hides it with a huff, "No wonder you got along so well with my Uncle."

"Your uncle?" I ask giving him a weird look, those bodyguards are way too young to be his uncle... Right?

He allows himself to smirk now, "Angel from the pet store." he explains. "Only you would sneak out, find a kitten than to find the one pet store my Uncle runs. I don't know what I am going to do with you." Rainbow plops back into his lap and jumps off the couch to start exploring more. Jack takes the opportunity to reach under the blanket on my lap to grab my legs and pull me closer.

"I know you wanted to join my gang," He says in a mocking female voice, "but you didn't have to go right to the retired boss directly. You just made this a lot harder now that not only does he like you but so does his damn bird."

My eyes go wide, "Angel is your uncle??" I pause, "And a mob boss?? But how he was so nice to me and Rainbow..." I trail off in shock that I accidentally made friends with someone that is more dangerous than I would have ever thought.

Jack shrugs, "He's retired now, and opened up that shop a couple of years ago when my dad took things over. Animals are his real passion but he was very skilled at what he does so I would be careful with him." Giving me a pointed look as if to say to behave myself.

I hold my hands up in the air, "I didn't do anything I swear, he was actually really helpful in getting Rainbow settled down." I peck over my left shoulder to see her running into the kitchen looking around when I'm scared by a loud sneeze.

Jack sighs and reaches for the box of tissues I didn't see on the end table before. I finally take a good look at him and see his eyes are almost completely bloodshot.

Standing up, "Jack why didn't you tell me you were sick??" I question touching his forehead with my hand.

"I'm not sick." he chuckles, "I'm allergic to cats and dogs."