Chapter Sixteen- Sista

"Jack this is ridiculous you know she's not going to be okay with this." I rub eyes waking up to Kat's voice, "No you don't understand... I have never even seen her like she was last night." I frown remembering what happened last night while Kat was trying to get me to go to sleep. Jack told her that he will be bringing Max back this morning, I was barely able to sleep last night.

Kat continues, "No Jack you have to, I'm serious. You just want me to be the bad guy and tell her instead of you." She starts to get even angrier as she talks to Jack. I sigh and sit upon my bed seeing the door to my bedroom closed but open just a crack. Normally I would have never woken up to her just talking on the phone but I have so on nerve since Max has been missing. "I can't believe you right now! No, I won't calm down, you're the one who doesn't understand the situation." I smile at Kat defending me even though I already know what's happening.... Jack isn't bringing Max back today. I hear Kat sigh, and start to pace a little bit in the hallway getting silent from her voice. I can assume that she just hung up on Jack knowing that he wasn't going to give in. She comes to the door checking in on me to make sure I'm sleeping only to make eye contact with me smiling at her wide awake on the bed.

"Dawn.... I'm sorry I didn't mean to wake you up." she gives me a sheepish smile and comes to the bed to sit with me.

"Thank you." I smile.

Kat looks at me like I'm losing my mind, "For what exactly...?"

I sigh, "Last night and all of that...." I pause, "And this morning too, thank you for defending me to Jack. Even if we both know he wasn't going to give in."

Kat smiles, and drapes her arm over my shoulder, "Of course, that's what friends are for. And besides this morning was for me," She laughs, "He was being an absolute dick, he's lucky you love him."

I turn to Kat slowly giving her a confused look until she answers me, "Come on, it's obvious Dawn... it's only time until you admit it to yourself," Kat smirks, "And him too."

"Hell no," I shake my head, "I cannot get into his mess." Not completely denying the L-word but just because I don't want to have the conversation.

"Lair," Kat says still smirking.

"What do you mean?" I glare at her pulling away from under her arm.

She laughs at me, "Come on, you have to see it." She just stares at me waiting for me to understand what she's talking about, which I don't... at all, "Seriously you don't see it?" I shake my head no, "After everything that happened at home and then not seeing him for a year.... You basically ran back to him the minute you saw him."

"Technically I ran away after I saw him," I smirk hoping to win the conversation.

Kat smiles evilly back, "Yes... only after you kissed him." my face goes bright red, "I'm not saying that it was just you though."

I give her a weird look, "What does that mean?"

"I did some digging of my own after our last conversation...." She trails off trying to be dramatic which is not helpful.

"And??" I push back.

Kat laughs, "Well from what I heard is that he hasn't seen any girl since he ran into you at the club, and apparently he usually has a girl around him at all times." I can feel my face fall without me wanting it to, "BUT no one has ever..... Ever seen him kiss a girl until you."

I look at Kat in confusion, "What does that mean? And what does that have to do with me?"

"How are you not seeing it?" Kat looks at me frustrated, "He's doing the exact thing that you are! You both are dropping everything for each other once again... he loves you too Dawn."

I cringe, "That is a VERY strong word, Kat."

Kat holds her hands up in defense still smiling, "I call it as I see it."

I roll my eyes and stretch my arms, "So Jack was saying that he's not bringing Max back today?" I question Kat

Kat shrugs, "I guess not, but he wouldn't give me a straight answer. All I know is that he was annoying the hell out of me."

I give Kat a small smile, "I can't say that I'm surprised. I should have known that Jack would take over the entire thing when I asked Zach for help." Kat cringes at my brother's name, "Sorry I didn't mean to bring him up."

"You shouldn't have to apologize for talking about your brother Dawn, I'm the one who should be apologizing... again..." Kat sighs, "I feel like we haven't been as close as we were in high school... I miss you."

"I miss you too, I hate fighting like this all the time." I give her a small smile, "Lately I have barely been able to recognize you like the same Kat if I'm being honest... I've been worried."

"People change Dawn, that's not a bad thing," Kat defends.

"I understand that, and I see all the good ways you've been changing," I quickly say, "You're witty, so independent that I think you would be able to run circles around me, and mostly I don't understand how you are so organized with your schoolwork.... It's honestly insane Kat."

Kat relaxes, "Sorry I just keep hearing that a lot..." She sighs, "It's getting frustrating to hear that I've changed all the time. Plus you're giving me way too much credit for all of that... I'm not organized at all. I feel like my life is going in all different directions all at the same time," Kat sighs.

"Why don't you ask for help?" I smile lightly happy that she's opening up.

Kat shakes her head, "You're so busy with dance and making a career for yourself... what kind of person would I be to distract you from all of that?"

"My best friend Kat, we help and distract each other. That's how this works... If I need to lose a night of sleep to help you study that's fine, and if I need your help getting up in the morning for early practice when your first class isn't for hours that's fine." I smile, "We have each other back Kat, we lean on each other."

"I didn't know how to lean on you about some things though... I just... I don't know.... It just didn't feel right or fair to you." Kat rubs her face with her hands.

I give her a knowing smile, "You mean how you and Zach got into a huge fight before you left for NYU? Or how I know that you guys were fighting on the phone all the time after that? Or how upset I know that both of you were but are too annoyingly stubborn to tell each other?"

Kat gets bright red, "Sometimes I forget that you lived with him."

I huff, "That's ironic since the reason you won't talk to me about him is exactly the same reason why I lived with Zach." Kat's guilty face makes me stop, "Sorry...." I pause, "I'm not perfect either and I know that I pushed you away when we first got here too. I was so focused on work that I stressed myself out so much."

"It's okay you're right...." she smirks, "About you too... If only we had just told each other what was going on. I feel like we would have felt a lot better to have someone to talk to."

"That's not even a question, so Kat do you wanna hang out today?" I smile, feeling happy to have my best friend back.

"Duh... Let's go sista." Kat pulls me up, "But first we need to get you...." She looks in the mirror behind the door seeing us both looking like a mess, "and me too presentable." 

***************

EARLY UPDATE LOVES

This was another heavy chapter but I promise our Friday update will be happier with the two besties back together again...  

Don't forget to vote and comment!

I love you all, stay happy and healthy!

Love Mama Em <3