Chapter Thirteen- The Apartment

A little bit of light starts to shine in around me causing me to groan turning away from it. Slowly I open my eyes to see the pure white sheets in front of me as I stretch out my arms in front of me feeling my head pounding. I look around the room confused not recognizing where I am. Looking over to the window I see sheer white curtains and a small heater sitting below it, to my left no one joins me in the strange bed, as I slowly get up. The mystery deepens as I can see that I'm wearing an overly large sweatshirt and what looks like men's athletic sports. I rub my eyes trying to remember what is happening and where I am but I can't remember a thing past a certain point of drunk haziness last night.

Walking over to the window I peak through to see where I am only for my eyes to widen seeing Central Park in front of me. My heart starts to beat, I'm in Manhattan not Brooklyn in a strange rich person's apartment, these places are thousands a month to live in. I study the room to see that it's mostly white with small pieces of black, the person who lives here is definitely a man, who is pretty clean but there are a little pile of black clothes in the corner and a phone with water and candy wrappers on the bed stand on the opposite side of the bed. Looking to the side I woke up on I see my phone, water, a bottle of pain killers and a new pack of hair ties.

Sweet guy but this is also a little creepy since I have no idea who did this for me. I slowly walk around the bed opening up the first door next to the closet walking into a medium-sized bathroom. I can tell someone took a shower this morning, with a damp grey towel that's laid on the floor. The shower is a simple stand shower and the entire bathroom is a white and fairly clean, there's a little toothpaste on the counter but at least this dude brushes his teeth.

Leaving the bathroom I go to the door next to the opposite side of the bed, opening it up I look out into a small living room with windows that show the entirety of the view of Central Park. They are huge from the ceiling to the top of another heating system, directly to my left is a desk and work area that is set up neatly with lots of papers stacked all over it messily. On top of the heating unit I finally see whose house I am in. My nerves start to calm as I see a few picture frames of a younger Jack and a woman who has to be his mom. I smile looking past them to the rest of the room. There are a small couch and love seat across the room with a TV and coffee table. Truthfully the living room is almost the same size as mine, but the view is incredible. Finally, the kitchen sits to the right of the bedroom next to the front door which has a few more deadbolts that normal but hey this place is incredible.

The kitchen is small like mine but much nicer with real wooden cabinets and stone countertop, all-white again. The appliances are all against the wall with a peninsula with tall chairs sitting on the side that I'm on. I can tell that this is where Jack eats, cooks and does some of his work as well. His laptop is sitting closed and plugged in on the end of the counter with an empty mug that must have had coffee in it. Moving into the kitchen I see the coffee maker next to the fridge and feel it- still warm. I smile feeling like a detective.

My eyes wander more looking at his small pot that holds a few spatulas and wooden spoons that sides next to the oven. I feel comfortable and protected here, not that I live in a bad neighborhood, but I wouldn't go wandering at night without someone else with me. Here I can tell that I'm high up in the building too making me feel like I'm on top of the world. I wish I was able to afford to live somewhere like this someday.

Suddenly I see the time on the oven and realize that I had work today. I run back into the bedroom to check my phone, to see a message from my boss.

Hey, Dawn, I hope that you're feeling better, and we hope you can make it back as soon as possible! We were wondering if you have seen Maxine Santos? She was missing from her rehearsals this morning, and we can't get ahold of her. Feel better!