Chapter Eight- Ice Cream

Our practice ended early today, and I sit on the couch nervously. Max went out to get some donuts and coffee for us and Kat. I know that Kat will not be happy about my brother is back in town, but I feel the need to let her know anyways. That's what friends would do right?

For some reason my nerves are on high alert, maybe it was because Kat seemed upset when I called to ask her to come over but honestly, I'm not sure anymore. Neither Max nor I had heard from her since my birthday celebration even though we had tried to reach out. Both of us gave up but after calling her at least 5 times I got her to answer and come over.

Max walks back in the door and I immediately stand up seeing her, making her jump at my sudden movement.

"Geez Dawn!" She yells at me, "What's got you so jumpy?"

She sets down the donuts on the kitchen counter and I join her in the kitchen, "I just have a really bad feeling about this." Earning a weird look from Max.

"What do you mean?"

"Kat... she seemed angry when I finally got ahold of her." I shrug, "I just have a bad feeling that she was mad at me." Max gives me a look of sympathy, knowing that having someone mad at me makes me extremely uncomfortable.

"I'm sure she can't be mad... right?" Maxine tries to console me, "Nothing has happened between you guys since you last saw her. There's no reason she'd be upset."

I sigh, relaxing a little bit, "I guess you're right... I've just known her for long that I can tell that she's upset."

"All you can do is to be there for her the best that you can." I sigh in response knowing that she's right. We hear a knock on the door and turn to see Kat walking in looking like she was going to explode but was holding it in.

"Hey Kat!" Max greets not seeming to notice Kat's bad mood, "We got donuts and coffee to snack on."

Kat closes the door and just stares at me, "Max can I talk to Dawn for a moment alone?" Max looks at me hesitating with a guilty look seeming to understand that I was right to be worried about Kat being mad.

She then nods at Kat giving her a look before answering, "Ya I guess I'll go get us some more snacks for us done at the corner store." Once Maxine walks out the door Kat turns to be with angry eyes and my heart starts to beat faster not in a good way.

"What's the matter?" I start looking at her nervously still hoping that she's not mad at me.

"Well want to tell me what happened when we went out to the club last time?" I give her a weird look, starting to get a closer look at her. Her eyes were red, and she looked like she may have already had something to drink.

"What are you talking about?" I was completely confused. I could see Kat getting even angrier that I had no idea what she was talking about.

"You don't even know?" Her face was going red and I could tell for sure that she had already had something to drink, "You both just ditched me at the club!"

"Kat you had already left with your friends before we even thought about leaving!" I couldn't believe that she was blaming us for leaving her alone at the club.

"That's a lie, I saw those pictures of the two of you on the subway. I was still at the club at that time."

I give her a strange look, "There's no way you left before we did, we saw you leave with those girls from your school. Max said you guys were headed to another club." I shake my head not believing this is really what she's mad about, "We would have never left you like that."

"Oh, so I'm the bad guy for supposedly leaving you at the club?"

"Kat it was my birthday night, we were supposed to be celebrating together-"

Kat cuts me off, "It's always been about you, hasn't it? Your birthday, your brother and I've always just been your best friend. Nothing more or less."

I shook my head, "No Kat-"

"Why did you even ask me here anyways? To have girl time or something stupid like that?" Her face is getting even redder and her words are becoming mumbled together.

"Kat please relax, have you been drinking?" I asked concerned, and effectively just make her even madder.

"That's it!" Kat walks about to the door and angrily puts her shoes on, "I'm leaving."

"No Kat, come on..." I walk over to her, not wanting her to leave like this.

She points in my face, "I'm leaving right now." She opens the door and yells, "Don't try and call me either it's obnoxious!"

With that, she slammed the door and I'm left standing there wondering what the hell just happened. Sighing as I slump back onto the couch, I realize that not only is my best friend mad at me, but she seems to be going off the deep end.

Max walks into the apartment a few minutes later, "Didn't go well did it?"

I shake my head, "Not at all."

She gives me a sad smile and hands me a tub of ice cream. After she grabs spoons for the both of us and slumps onto the couch with me.

Holding up her spoon to mine, "Cheers"

"Cheers" I reply hitting my spoon against hers as we both eat our troubles away in the ice cream. 

********

Oops I did it again.... early Wednesday update <3 

Team Kat or Team Dawn? Do you understand why Kat is acting like this?