20: Her Lost Child's Heart

MPK: So I went back and changed the purples and indigos like I said I would the last chapter when I saw them, and even redid a few chapters. I still want to go back and edit chapters 4-8 because I didn't touch those at all, but everything else is decent enough for me to leave alone! Yay!

On with the next chap!

____________

Dear Amu-san,

Writing to you as a seasonal check-in, like you suggested. All though we've just had an amazing trip to a very warm, private island, the winter air is frigid and cold. Everyone is feeling the effects of the snowy season. People are doing what they can to finish up all their work and go back home where it is warmer. I've chosen to stay on campus for the holidays of course because I have nothing else better to do. With dad busy and all my siblings scattered, what would be the point in coming home?

...But, I sort of regret doing so.

You see, during the school trip, I felt like I had grown closer with all my friends here at the academy. I know you won't believe it, but even Tokiya and I are actually on good terms now. The thing is...now that we're back from vacation, everyone has grown distant again. I mean, it's expected since we have exams and such and everyone's busy with their own assignments. But they're also busy trying to find their partners for the graduation audition.

The graduation audition is important for us all. It's kind of the main reason we came to this academy. It's our only shot at becoming real idols. But at this rate, some of us are going to end up failing. Me, because I have no idea who would even choose me as an idol partner, and all my friends because...I think they've all chosen the same person. Only one composer can audition with one idol representative. So I have no idea how this is gonna go down. The girl I think they've all chosen doesn't even seem to know who she wants to pair with either.

It's a mess over here, Amu-san. I don't know how much longer I can keep this up here. But I'll try my best and keep you updated on the details.

Hope you and my fam have a happy holiday.

Yours truly ~Melody K.

____________

"Huh? A "B"!? After all that!?"

"I know~I probably would have done better if I had studied a little more. But I'm not complaining."

I sighed patting the back of my red-headed best friend, "Well at least you passed. I'm proud of ya Otoya."

"Hehe, thanks Me-chan." He gave me a smile. It was a cold December day when Otoya and I were walking down the hallway after one of our last exams for the semester. "Ah! I'm so pumped! I'm way more confident in my music now than I was at the start of the year! Now I just have to impress whoever my graduation partner will be, and I'll be set!"

"You make it sound so easy." I undid my scarf since we had just entered a new building, "Do you have any idea who you're gonna ask?"

"...I don't know yet." He hesitated, "I got the form today because I wanted to do it quickly before everyone gets taken, but I haven't officially asked anyone yet." The boy frowned. "There are so many talented people in the composer course, but I want to pair up with someone who will be able to...mesh with my style. You know?"

"You want a partner that can compliment you."

"Right! I knew you'd understand!"

I brushed my hair with the hairbrush from my school bag, "Well, is there someone that you've worked with this year that you thought fit your style of music well?" The question came out as smooth as butter. I had no idea how much I would soon regret asking that.